Syncing Music

christmasmatt

New elf
I am thinking about getting a DMX2-24.

I want to sync it to music but I am just needing to know how am I supposed to time the music and software together?
What software should I get?

darylc

404 darylc not found
xlights, bring in an audio track then you sequence to the audio

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Also what if I want to sync to radio?
Edited.

If you would like to play back the audio from your xLights sequence on a FM radio or something similar, you need to get a FM transmitter such as this one https://www.lightitupleds-xmas.com....smitter/167?cp=true&sa=true&sbp=false&q=false

Depending on how you have your show setup, you connect the audio output to the FM transmitter.
- If using xsheduler, you would connect from your computer audio output to the transmitter
- if using a FFP as a show player such as a Pi or BBG then you connect the audio output from the Pi/BBG to the transmitter (some people also use a sound blaster card (such as this one https://au.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-play-3#buy) to make the audio that much better. I use a BBG/Pi and a Play 3 soundblaster card.

hope that helps

Last edited:

jmg02

New elf
How would I then play the music on a speaker with it being perfectly synced?
Just connect a speaker to the computer you've used to create the sequences, as far as I know, it should just work. There might be sync issues if your using wifi, but I believe you should be ok if your using ethernet connections to the light controller. Sorry, can't confirm as I'm having a slight issue with my esp setup, before I start with flights...

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Avoid using any bluetooth speakers for playback, as the delay in bluetooth audio will mean most of your sequence will be out of sync by a second or so from the music, unless you plan for this delay when sequencing.

christmasmatt

New elf
Just connect a speaker to the computer you've used to create the sequences, as far as I know, it should just work. There might be sync issues if your using wifi, but I believe you should be ok if your using ethernet connections to the light controller. Sorry, can't confirm as I'm having a slight issue with my esp setup, before I start with flights...
Are you saying I should get an Ethernet cable between by box (oustide) to a computer with the software (inside my garage) and then to my speaker?

jmg02

New elf
Are you saying I should get an Ethernet cable between by box (oustide) to a computer with the software (inside my garage) and then to my speaker?
Yes, Connect your controller to your computer via ethernet, so you don't have delays via wifi, and run your speakers directly off your computer, this will give you the least latency issues. (Assuming you decide to run your sequences from the computer and flights), as there will be delays using wifi or Bluetooth...

jmg02

New elf
Yes, Connect your controller to your computer via ethernet, so you don't have delays via wifi, and run your speakers directly off your computer, this will give you the least latency issues. (Assuming you decide to run your sequences from the computer and flights), as there will be delays using wifi or Bluetooth...
The delay is why ppl using xlights and esp32/wled micro controllers use ethernet versions of the esp32 (which are typically wifi/Bluetooth controlled).