1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Technicolor Pixel Current Draw

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by viennaxmas, Nov 15, 2013.

1. viennaxmas

viennaxmas New Elf

Just received 3,500 technicolor pixel and paranoid as I am first thing was to hook them up to a meter. This is when I noticed the current draw being widely off what I was expecting. Spec's say they draw 0.03 Amp per pixel. I measured 0.065 per pixel or 2.7 Amp for a 50 pixel string. I would have expected some variance however this is much more than my expectation.

Can anyone confirm the power consumption? (those are the 12V WS 2811 technicolor pixel).

2. Archades

Archades New Elf

The current draw might just be the rating of the LED, the resistor has to use up some too to drop the voltage (I think...3am brain no worky) so that might not be included.

3. jediknight2

jediknight2 Full Time Elf

Your about right on with what I found, 5.2 A per 100ct string.

4. OP
    OP
    viennaxmas

viennaxmas New Elf

Thanks - I ordered a few more power supplies - let's hope that helps. Catch is that total power consumption of my matrix at all white changed from 900 W to 1800 W... Oh well...