Technicolor Pixel FYI

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This explains your issue

18.5 ma x 3 = 0.0555 amps x 50 bulbs = 2.77 amps
9.5 ma x 3 = 0.0285 amps x 50 bulbs = 1.425 amps

So this will explain why you need injection, the LEDs are running at 18.5ma per colour, so very inefficient and dont take advantage of using 12vdc as you still need similar injection as used with 5vdc.

Minleon use 12vdc but drive the LED at around 9.5 ma per colour, we also use high quality LEDS so driving at a lower current doesnt give any real noticeable difference in light intensity, i can run a string of Minleon lights with 150 lights with 30cm spacing (45 metres) and not have any issues with injection.

Unfortunatly you would have been better using 5vdc as this would have been much more efficient than using 12vdc that is burning over 1/2 the energy in heat. So i see no real advanatage to using these at 12vdc because you still need to manage voltage drop in the same way as if it was 5vdc because they are drawing the same current.

you can read more information on 5vdc vs 12vdc strings here http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=2595.0

niteshift38

New elf
Fasted ---
After reading your last post, I WILL be using 5v for future/replacement sets ! I will add some 5v output DC-DC buck converters to my next order so I can ease in 5v strings with as little trouble as possible.
Question: will able be able to insert a 5v string between 12v strings as long as I keep it on its own separate power supply and only carry the data through (tying GND's together) ? Or do I have to put the 5v strings in their own Universe ?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
niteshift38 said:
Fasted ---
After reading your last post, I WILL be using 5v for future/replacement sets ! I will add some 5v output DC-DC buck converters to my next order so I can ease in 5v strings with as little trouble as possible.
Question: will able be able to insert a 5v string between 12v strings as long as I keep it on its own separate power supply and only carry the data through (tying GND's together) ? Or do I have to put the 5v strings in their own Universe ?

yes there should be no issue with mixing voltages as long as the ground and data
is connected together