Technicolor Pixels

jediknight2

Full time elf
Looking at the photos...the strings come with pre-attached 3-core connectors. Anyone have these and how did you inject power and the end of a few strings? Still have to cut and splice? Or did you use a three way connector...

kane

Dedicated elf
jediknight2 said:
Looking at the photos...the strings come with pre-attached 3-core connectors. Anyone have these and how did you inject power and the end of a few strings? Still have to cut and splice? Or did you use a three way connector...

Interestingly, I think David at HolidayCoro.com seems to be reselling the same strings rebadged as Firepix - he also sells a t-connector, which is intended for power injection between strings.

To inject power at the end of a string, I'd be trying to avoid cutting and splicing, and connect a power cable to two of the pins of a male connector and plug it into the end of the string (but, this goes against standards of using male connectors for the "input"!)

jediknight2

Full time elf
Thinking hard about spending some extra money for the technicolor from Ray and I really didn't want to cut anything and splice into it. Probably go with a t-connector if that's the direction I end up going. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on some 2811 pixels in the same format I purchased last year...had 6 pixels out of 700 look like they have water intrusion...so I'm trying to figure out if another 100 bux is worth it or not.

kane

Dedicated elf
jediknight2 said:
Thinking hard about spending some extra money for the technicolor from Ray and I really didn't want to cut anything and splice into it. Probably go with a t-connector if that's the direction I end up going. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on some 2811 pixels in the same format I purchased last year...had 6 pixels out of 700 look like they have water intrusion...so I'm trying to figure out if another 100 bux is worth it or not.

I agree - they seem like very good quality gear, so I'd be leaving them as intact as possible! I'm impressed with the waterproof testing Zach has done with these.

Zach has mentioned that there is likely to be a new version of these strings with 5050 leds, and may be marginally cheaper. And also, a G20 style cover (round, rather than oval) is also being produced at the moment, which interests me.

dannyp

Full time elf
I'm intrigued about the commnet about 5050 LEDS. What does this mean in comparison to these existing lights?