"Temporary" null pixels

flipflopfury

New elf
Okay, so I have probably a newbie question... but is there a relatively easy way to not utilize half of the nodes on a string for just part of a sequence? I know you can null pixels, but I'm assuming this is a permanent setting via controller, etc. I'm assuming there's a way to do it with masking(?), but if anyone has a quick explanation of how that's best achieved, I'd appreciate it.

Basically I have two 50 bulb strings running up either side of some steps. Both strings then make a 90-degree angle away from steps. For just one quick portion of sequence, I'd like to utilize JUST the segment that's running up the steps. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thank you!

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
You would need to use sub models. It's fairly straightforward, you just need to select the pixels you want included from the string, give it a name and then in your sequence, you only put the effect on the sub model rather than the entire string. Try and find a video on YouTube that shows you how to create a sub model and you should be well on your way

i13

Dedicated elf
Another option is to use two models; one for each half of the string. You could then map them so that their channels are end-to-end.

I think submodels are probably the best option when you just want to do this for a short section of the sequence.