Testing ECG DR4 without controllers.

Pyrotech

New elf
My DR4 has arrived safely in the UK, but I've no controller as yet (awaiting COOPs), is there away to test it without a controller. I've a second computer, several cat5 cables including a crossover, and a router. Plenty of midi gear and LSP and Vixen with the pluggins installed.

Now please remember 1) I'm a newbie (read electronic moron) 2) I'm a POM , so no big words please.

mschell

Full time elf
Not sure what you mean by "testing" without controllers.

However, it's possible to connect everything together, as in your computer and the DR4 and verify that you can talk to the DR4, setup the plugins and universes, etc..

As Ed has mentioned elsewhere, you do want to keep the DR4 on a separate network from your normal LAN, so you'll need a second Ethernet port or card on your computer. Setup the network address on that card to be in the 10.x.x.x range, so it can talk to the DR4.

Be sure you can "talk" to the DR4 - that is, use your browser to connect to 10.10.10.10 as a web site, and see the DR4 management interface after you have setup your network connections.

If you don't have any kind of DMX output device, like a controller, or status panel, then it will be hard to verify fully that the DR4 is receiving and sending the right things to the right DMX address, but you can hope it's all OK until you get your first controller.

Make sense?

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
simple way, if you are able to configure the DR4 (10.10.10.10) an then turn on it's outputs an what (imaginary)controller you want to add for that 1 output.
then run vixen with it's output being the DR4
an select any number of channels you have allicated to the first output.

i have 2 renards64's on ch1 an another 2 on ch2, nothing on ch3, an a tiger120 on ch4

when i have no controllers plugged in, i see the orange lights above the output lights up while its sending its signal out.

hope this helps

Pyrotech

New elf
No, it makes perfect sense, I've even resisted opening it so far. It was just a post, which I can;t seem to find now about some software called sACNview and I downloaded it then,

Ah found it from DAVID_AV "got my DR4 today. Only had sacnview to test it with."

mschell

Full time elf
Definitely get the networking/connection pieces figured out now, before you have the controllers. It's not difficult, but can be worrying if you're trying to get lights up and running.

Play around with the plugins and understand how the channels in Vixen/LSP get mapped to the different universes/outputs of the DR4.

Pyrotech

New elf
Alec, got my foot in the door, Phil expects to have some available earlyish next year. want 2 120's

I'm going the build a compatible DMX LV hardware system , then figure out the lights to get best performance.

If some pre-built turn up before then I might jump in.

SmartAlecLights

a simple word of warning with the tiger 120's , there output is limited to a max of 100ma (milliamps)
so depending on what your controlling the tiger48's might be a better option for you.

Pyrotech

New elf
Alec, going for 2 Lynx Express as well when they are available, and have 2 mr16 bare boards and 2 Ren48LSD boards in transit. So hopefully I'll have most of my needs covered.

SmartAlecLights

im guessing this is next years display, but by then you'll want a TP3244 to control your 16universes (8192ch) of pixel lights
Im going over board,
but am i,
Pixel will be all the rage, an you only need controllers like a TP3244,
they use serial data to control pixels an pixel IC's so you can make your own rgb led pixels
the future has just started.

Pyrotech

New elf
I've been looking at the RGB nodes and pixels.....they are on my list for 2012 ....But all my stuff is for back garden use. Want to tie in my laser, and effects machines and odd bits of midi show control stuff (for Le Maitre pyro) Then want to slave Vixen or LSP to a show control system, so eagerly looking at the DMX recorder being tested. Like it all synced to my time code generator.

All as we say, bodged together with gaffer.