1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Testing ws2812b with arduino issues

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by Adsy, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Adsy

Adsy New Elf

Ok so my first foray into pixel strip has hit a road block in the space of 2 days. Now fortunately I ordered 2 rolls of
    Ws2812b so I still have a spare roll to play with and a sp103e for plug and play option. Whilst the controller works
    fine ,it hardly blew my mind and was looking to get some more interesting effects going on so I thought would start off
    small and try an arduino uno to get a grasp on programming basics and some of the possibilities of the pixels.
    After watching a demo on YouTube made by an Aussie company it seemed doable, so I hooked everything as per instructions which I might add didn't mention adding a resistor for the data line . After trying a couple of examples I
    still had no light action so I plugged the sp103e back in only to find I now have only the first pixel lit nothing else.
    The pixel itself responds to the controller no worries and tested ok for continuity with a multimeter so it's either a program
    error which I'm crossing my fingers or I have some how damaged the strip. I will mention when am powering up the strip
    It vaguely lights green every 5 or 6 pixels. Hoping someone with more experience could chime in as to my next move.
    Thanks

2. SmartAlecLights

SmartAlecLights Im a SmartAlec what can i say! Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    when i use pixels on arduino's i don't normally use resistors in the data line.
    fastled is the arduino library you would need, an its realy that simple

Adsy likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Adsy

Adsy New Elf

Thanks @SmartAlecLights i will give it another shot with fastled.