Testing ws2812b with arduino issues

Adsy

Full time elf
Ok so my first foray into pixel strip has hit a road block in the space of 2 days. Now fortunately I ordered 2 rolls of
Ws2812b so I still have a spare roll to play with and a sp103e for plug and play option. Whilst the controller works
fine ,it hardly blew my mind and was looking to get some more interesting effects going on so I thought would start off
small and try an arduino uno to get a grasp on programming basics and some of the possibilities of the pixels.
After watching a demo on YouTube made by an Aussie company it seemed doable, so I hooked everything as per instructions which I might add didn't mention adding a resistor for the data line . After trying a couple of examples I
still had no light action so I plugged the sp103e back in only to find I now have only the first pixel lit nothing else.
The pixel itself responds to the controller no worries and tested ok for continuity with a multimeter so it's either a program
error which I'm crossing my fingers or I have some how damaged the strip. I will mention when am powering up the strip
It vaguely lights green every 5 or 6 pixels. Hoping someone with more experience could chime in as to my next move.
Thanks

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
when i use pixels on arduino's i don't normally use resistors in the data line.
fastled is the arduino library you would need, an its realy that simple