The Pixel Debate

jeffmill

New elf
cenote said:
Or is there a difference between nodes and pixels?
As they are advertised on AliExpress, nodes tend to be described as variations of the 8mm pop-in RGB blubs. Whereas pixels seem to be more along the line of the rigid shell type that vary in shape. And finally the ribbons are "ribbon" or "strip" with intelligent ribbons being called "Dream" strips. So I've kinda grown accustomed to thinking of them in this way as I see them discussed everywhere.
Jeff

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
cenote said:
Not being a smart ass here..but what wrong in making a push to phrase it as a "node"? Or is there a difference between nodes and pixels?

You have brought up another word that seems to be loosly used within the hobby that doesnt seem to have a firm definition. Both names, nodes and pixels came from the early days of using RGB lighting and have been used very loosly since which is becoming a source of confusion for anyone new in this hobby.

The way Phil explains a pixel it also is a source of confusion because a 'pixel controller' cant control a standard DC LED, even though Phil is correct in the definition as this was the way it was used in the early days of RGB lighting.

I do believe we need to firm up these names so they are clear and concise and what the name may have meant before may have now changed and needs to become more defined.