The set up

Porsche

Full time elf
gday guys, im not sure I understand how the DMX controllers are set up with each other. Hopefully this is right??
I havent done one yet so trying to understand how it comes together. if Ive read the manual 101 and understood it this is my understanding.
Please see attached.
Im guessing the 3 DC48's i'll put together are DMX in and out and they then would become Universe 1 (chanel 1-48), Universe 2 (1-48),and Universe 3 (1-48).
What im trying to ask is, does each controller become a universe and each controller connected to each other through the DMX in and out cat 5 cables?
I was pretty sure this is how it worked until one of our members said he used ECG-D2 with his controllers, and to be honest, Ive read what it does and it makes no sense to me and now im doubting ive understood how these controllers are set up.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Phil

Attachments

• My Set up.pdf
    165.4 KB · Views: 16

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Very Close Phil
Some simple things for you
A Universe of DMX is 512 channels.

3 DC48's linked together would be 3 controllers on 1 universe
Controller 1 could be channel 1-48, controller 2 would be 49-96,and controller 3 would be 97-144.
If you were to use just DC48's you could use 10 of the, on one universe. (512/48)

Porsche

Full time elf
thats awesome, thank u.
So on the second controller where it physically says Channel 1, if the controllers are linked together then it would actually work as channel 49??

Superman

Global moderator
If the second controller is set to start ch 49 it will work seperate. if it is set as the same start address as controller 1 It will mirror it.

Is that what you meant?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Steve/Supermans numbering is actually out. it would be 1-48, 49-96 and 97-144.
Each controller has it's start channel assigned by either jumpers or in the case of the DC48 and DC24 via software (see the wiki). Channel 1 , as marked on the pcb, becomes that channel and you work from there.

If you left all 3 controllers at the default start address of 1 then each of them would mirror each other.

Also depending on the location of your lights and controllers and the wattage that they use you may run several boards off the 1 power supply or if it is a high load or 2 different voltages then you may need to run 2 power supplies.

i should have also pointed out that the last controller on the run (the 1 with only 1 dmx cable) needs to have the termination jumper installed. The other 2 don't need it installed.

Porsche

Full time elf
yeah sort of. I havent got my head around the controller address yet.
so in the LOR s3 software if i chose a set of strings to come on at channel 49 (DMX - Universe 1.49) the 1st channel on the 2nd controller would be that channel?

I think where ive gone wrong is when i start up a seq, i selected a DMX 48 channel controller, so the software only shows up 48 channels. If I chose say a 96 channel controller in the software, that would then show 96 channels which would physically be 2 x Dc48's connected?
I think thats where Ive gone wrong. I was selecting a seperate universe for each controller.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The hardware needs to be given a start address or else by default they are all set for start address of 1. So if you just change in LOR s3 then it wont work because you dont have any controllers configured for that channel range.

So to setup the starts address of an AVD DC controller you would use this app http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2110.msg17802.html#msg17802

So one controller will be set as start channel 1 the second controller would be set as start address 49 and the 3rd controller would have a start address of 97

Porsche

Full time elf
right, now I get it....
Would this be the same princple if I got one of the 27 Channel controllers from Ray Wu.
just Im wanting my show to have 123 channels. Could I connect 2 x Dc48's and then into a ray Wu 27 channel DMX controller.
I would need then to have start address from the 27Ch controller start at 97?
Is there anywhere on the forum where I can see how to config start addresses for the Ray Wu 27Ch DMX controller?

thanks
This is all making sense now.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You can mix and match DMX controllers within a network so that combination will definetly work.

The Ray 27 channel controllers use dip switches instead so very easy to set

you will have a row of 10 dip swithes which when you turn a dip switch on it adds to the total to get your start address, so

1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 4
4 = 8
5 = 16
6 = 32
7 = 64
8 = 128
9 = 256
10 = test mode

So if you wanted a Ray controller to start at address of 97 then you would set the dip switches to total 97, so that means dip switch

Dip 7 = 64
+
Dip 6 = 32
+
Dip 1 = 1

gives you a start address of 97 because the on dip switches add up to 97

Superman

Global moderator
If you have a iPhone download DMX Dip from the appstore. Great little app

Porsche

Full time elf
this all makes sense now. thanks heaps guys
Is there a cable available that can connect Dc48 (cat 5 connection) into the ray 27Ch controller which is a DMX pin plug.
So cat 5 into DMX pin type plug?

Superman

Global moderator
The adaptor your after would be called rj45 to xlr adaptor,

RJ45 being the cat5 one
and
3 pin XLR is what comes on the ray 27ch boards

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
A quick search of Rays shop shows these

XLR 3 pin F/M to RJ45
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/XRL-3pin-dmx-female-connector-to-RJ45-male-adaptor-cable/701799_597354138.html

and this

XLR 3 Pin Male to RJ45
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/XRL-3pin-dmx-male-connector-to-RJ45-male-adaptor-cable/701799_597354174.html

These are $1.50 each and come in batches of 10 but are still cheaper than if you just bought one from ebay, and if you plan on getting your stuff from Ray then he may do a smaller number for you.

You may be able to find them cheaper locally in Aus

I make my own up by just cutting the end off a short network patch cable and then solder in the XLR plug which i got from ray
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/XRL-DMX-connector-male-and-female/701799_469534646.html