Thin wall pvc...

Binkles

Full time elf
I have seen this mentioned in a few spots, but can't seem to google anyone that sells it in Perth.

Is there another name for it? What thickness is counted as thin wall?

I'm looking for something that can diffuse the pixels, and is bendable as well.

I'm starting to feel needy asking all these questions ;)

Binkles

Full time elf
I had seen that, still thinking of getting some, problem is they are hell to bend apparently.

I do have a project in mind for them if I get some.

mrlightmadness

New elf
svc 40 is thicker then standard pvc. here are 2 examples from lowes

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23976-1814-PVC+04010++0600_0__?productId=3133091&Ntt=pvc+pipe&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dpvc%2Bpipe&facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23993-1814-PVC+20010++0600_0__?productId=3133107&Ntt=pvc+pipe&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dpvc%2Bpipe&facetInfo=

if you notice the 1st one is the one that is svc40. look at the psi 450 psi vs 200psi. the second one is thinner and will bend easier. i wouldnt think it would difuse pixels really well.

im considering using pex pipe.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_308065-61002-APPW51_0__?productId=3660058&Ntt=pex+pipe&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dpex%2Bpipe&facetInfo=

a video of this
rgb strip in pex tubing

not a good video and not sure what size pex they are using. It will fit in 3/4inch pipe but thinking 1 inch would look better. Will hopefully try this out over the next month or 2.

Binkles

Full time elf
I wonder if masters would have that in Australia. Not sure if you all know but masters is partly owned by lowes.

mrlightmadness

New elf
Next time I go to lowes ill take the flash from my cell phone and shine it into the pipe to see if any light shows through the pipe. My guess pipe is still to thick. Flash on smartphone is really bright so its a good test.

TheQueb

New elf
I used schedule 20 for some pixel arches this year. It shows great at night but in testing during the day I have to be right up on it to see the light. If you can find anything lighter (schedule 10 maybe) you'd probably like it better but the schedule 20 will work....

drakky

Senior elf
I was talking to a local plastics guy he said polycarbonate tubing might be able to be bent but he'd never tried it as it was too expensive around $120 for a 3m length, he told me to go over to the outdoor furniture place and talk to them , they confirmed that polycarbonate would do the job but the costs again were an issue , however they said they could bend it if it was 37mm or 25mm inside diameter , they method they use is insert a rubber cylinder inside they tube when they heat it up to bend it

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I bought some tubing from Mitre10 here in NZ last year. The salesmen couldnt find the cost on the computer so only charged me $2 p/meter lol.

I made arches with it and it was my favourite part of my display. The colours came out much brighter than I thought they would and everyone loved them. Pretty easy to work with as well, bent back on itself easily.

It is Liansu PVC corrugated piping and was in the plumbing section of Mitre10. Its opaque/white and I got the 32mm stuff.

I am looking at getting a lot more this year and running dumbRGB strips in it, I will be doing 80m of it around the board of my property like I did with the ropelight last year. I will just peg it down with "U" pins. Im still considering getting conduit to ziptie the strip to then sliding that inside the tubing. Of course that would only be for the straight areas.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p112/Toby3_photo/?action=view¤t=IMG_1123.mp4

IMG_1002.jpg