Things that make you go AAARRGGHHH!

gerry

Senior elf
Sorry about it Fing ! its a shame when so much work gets undone at the end ... but as others have said at least you , the family and the house are okay.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Glad nothing burnt down, and everyone is OK, but it sucks to lose your gear so close to Christmas. We had a lightning strike here about 4 or 5 years ago and it hit the top of the metal pole of the Megatree, blowing about 20cm of aluminium off the top. The grass took 3 years to grow there again, but we were fortunate to just lose a few pixels in a few strings on the tree, nothing more, except a few blackened wires, but it could have been so much worse.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Wow that's incredible bad luck. Amazing how far the lightening strike went through your house. Pleased nobody got injured.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
lithgowlights said:
Glad nothing burnt down, and everyone is OK, but it sucks to lose your gear so close to Christmas. We had a lightning strike here about 4 or 5 years ago and it hit the top of the metal pole of the Megatree, blowing about 20cm of aluminium off the top. The grass took 3 years to grow there again, but we were fortunate to just lose a few pixels in a few strings on the tree, nothing more, except a few blackened wires, but it could have been so much worse.
[/quote

Yes have often wondered about our mega tree as is basically a huge lightning rod and there is no way of prevention in that case unless it was made from plastic. Lol would need a huge 3d printer . But wonder if lightning would take the path of mega tree instead of house as is way taller than house ]

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Fing said:
Thank-you everyone for your thoughts and offers of help. They were all greatly appreciated. There are other threads about why we do this, and things people say, but that feeling of satisfaction and enjoyment we get from building something that brings a sparkle to kids ( and big kids) eyes is special for us all. Having it taken from you after only 15 days, in your first year is difficult, as is having your house sitting in the dark. Your kind words help soften the blow.

Well my parts have arrived ( Aust Post must have a different definition of "Express") but it hasn't stopped raining here since, so it looks like I'm finished for this year.

My wife said I can go bigger and better next year, which I interpreted as "spend what you want" 8) (might even do a halloween....)

My Virtual santa is still drawing cars and kids, with one little bloke only just now yelling out to him "have you got me a present?"

AAMI said they will cover me for the lights, which is great, so far they have been good to deal with, but I'm learning what "new for old - like for like replacement" actual means (for one, it doesn't mean same brand)

As I said, it was only lights and replaceable things like TVs that got damaged, no one was injured and nothing burnt down.

I've started planing my 2016 upgraded display already....I think I need lasers and lightning arrestors ;)

Cheers
Shane (fing)
Good to see you are not having to deal with a rogue insurance company and they are willing to pay out

#1mate

364 Days building 1 night admiring.
At least on a positive side
"Lightning does not strike in the same spot twice"

So Fing your SAFE mate.
But the rest of us mmmmmmm.