This is my tree for 2011

Scoobrs

New elf
Some of the guys that were on the chat have seen this, but thought I would post it up for all to see.

I have made a small tree from some pvc pipe and some old heating element from my work, yes you read right heating element! I make heating elements at my work so grabbed some dud ones annealed them, formed them on an 800mm form and soldered it round, then soldered 2 cross pieces for bracing in and gave it a nice sandblast ready for painting.

Then I cross drilled and slotted my 40mm pvc pipe to accept the cross bracing of the elements. I needed a bung to go into the centre of the pipe so I could put a hose clamp on it to lock the elements into position, so I got an old garden hose tap fitting cut the nipple end off and pushed it into the pipe nicely to lock it on with the hose clamp.

I then used some speaker wire to emulate a couple of strings for height test/looks.

tree.jpg

Looked pretty good and here is the base a bit closer up.

treebase.jpg

I was happy with the height/diameter so I drilled 8 holes into the top of the pipe for the strings to attach to, I then decided to also use the screws to attach plastic coated metal wire for the stabilisation. Originally I had planned to cut 2 slots at the top and run the wire from side to side through the slots, but this seemed to work out alot better!

topper.jpg

As seen in the above pic I have a string attached and have just taped it on to test fit.

Here is the string powered up

bluestring.jpg

bluestringlightoff.jpg

Tomorrow I will get some paint and paint it all black, then re-attach a few strings with cable ties and power it up and see how it looks. Will post pics once I do that!

Cheers,
Eric.

Scoobrs

New elf
Thanks Mike!

Need opinions on whether people think I should just go from the top to bottom, or go into the centre pole like I have done in the above pic, Not quite sure whats gonna look better. The base will be flat on the ground.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I kinda like the look of trees that have the leds extending into the middle. Maybe fix the centre end of the leds a few inches up the pole to get the leds outta the grass.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It will look very nice, I personally reakon it will look better just going down to the bottom only, but the best way is to just try the 2 different ways and then decide which one you like most

Scoobrs

New elf
I ended up doing a full wedge and going up the pole as well.

I have finished it! Here are some pics and a video.

Strings done

stringsdone.jpg

Red Strings

redstrings.jpg

Blue Strings

bluestrings.jpg

Both on together!

redbluestrings.jpg

And a video (excuse my lack of sequencing skill :D )

testingtree.mov