Thoughts of static standalone pixel controller for frames?

mangoat

Full time elf
Hi,

Just wondering, wire frames are old, covered in dodgy half working ropelights...... my kids love them, and im wondering if someone makes or if there would be demand from others for like a small static stand alone controller that would be programmed once and hold its set sequence or static setup independant of an entire show style of deal. Does this make sense?

Thoughts?

Regards,
Goat

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I converted a Santa and a deer over to pixels this year with plans on mapping them to xlights. So far they've been running for days just on a pixel tester each and it's not bothered any visitors. It's reasonably likely that I'll just dump rainbow effects or similar onto them for most of the time once I get them connected properly.

Barnabybear

New elf
Hi, I had a go at something that sounds similar. It used a .fseq file created in the sequencer of your choice which was loaded into the on board memory of an ESP8266, then played back and outputted as pixel data. Files up to 1.5MB seemed to run ok so it would run a smallish pixel count without a problem, a forum member ‘pakeonoahu’ ran a 16x16 matrix (256 pixels) using this method.

The ESP8266 was used as its cheap and has a fast processor, the Wi-Fi was disabled. It was discussed in this thread (a bit disjointed):

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/fo...pe-device-as-a-FPP-remote&p=479430#post479430