three legged spiral tree ideas?

crispiew

17 y.o. light enthuiasist since 2004 when i was 8.
hi guys,

this year ive decided to scrap my mega tree after having a few problems with it last year and replace it with a spiral tree. last year i was in wagga wagga (riverina area of NSW) and seen a spiral tree that was made of three legnths of hollow square metal tubing, but unfortunately we were travelling at 100kmh so it was gone before i could have a good look at it so i couldn't see what they had at the top to hold the three legnths of steel together. im looking for ideas to make something similar and cant find out anything. im only trying to make something about 2m-2.5m tall. ive tried using 2.5m legnths of timber that i had lying around and tieing them together at the top with some wire, but that didnt work. oh, and as im still at home i have to keep the parents happy, and they say i can make it, as long as it is kinda eye pleasing during the day and it cant have guy wires.

any ideas would be awesome!!
cheers guys.
crispiew (18 yearold)

Habbosrus

Back again
You can always drill holes in the top and wire/cable tie them together. We did this for old style tents sometimes when my sons were in scouts. We drilled holes in one face of the square tube at the bottom as well and hammered tent pegs through the holes into the ground - no guy wires.
I got some 25mm galvanised square tube from metaland just recently for a small project. The length (6.5mtr) cost me less than $25.00 from memory.

crispiew

17 y.o. light enthuiasist since 2004 when i was 8.
yeah thats not a bad idea. i dont know why i didnt think of that *facepalm*. thats got that sorted. any ideas on what to use to make like a trelis about 1m high to make basically a "mini spiral tree". im thinking maybe 5mmdiameter solid metal bar to make a round base about 50cm diameter, then using 3x1m legnths of the same stuff to go vertically and weld them into place. only problem is the smalest diameter round bar i have is 30mm which is a bit excessive. any cheap ideas ?

Steve22537

Full time elf
Another way is to lay all three lengths side by side, drill a hole through the three lengths and put a long bolt through the tree legs. Don't tighten the bolt as it needs to allow the legs to rotate a little. Makes it easy to erect and pack away.

Steve

Habbosrus

Back again
crispiew said:
yeah thats not a bad idea. i dont know why i didnt think of that *facepalm*. thats got that sorted. any ideas on what to use to make like a trelis about 1m high to make basically a "mini spiral tree". im thinking maybe 5mmdiameter solid metal bar to make a round base about 50cm diameter, then using 3x1m legnths of the same stuff to go vertically and weld them into place. only problem is the smalest diameter round bar i have is 30mm which is a bit excessive. any cheap ideas ?
You may want to save yourself some money and time. Take a look here. It's not exactly what you've described but worth a look. I plan to use some of these for mini trees next year.