Time to go shopping?

JPB

Full time elf
How high is the $Aus going to go? It is currently 94.9 cents US, is it going to go higher or is this as good as it will get? :-\

Jon

mborg10

Michael Borg
I went to the states in 2011 when the dollar was at $1.10 and was awesome, but with the high Aussie dollar and Carbon tax it has meant that not many new investments have been made in Australia and the engineering company I work for has been very VERY quite.

On one hand exchange rate is high but I have no money to buy stuff from overseas. Exchange rate is low and I have money but its cheaper to buy stuff locally.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The Australian dollar has been fairly stable in the last 3 months only moving a few cents between 0.92 and 0.94, but there has been a little spike this week with it going just above 0.95, but its now fallen back to 0.9364

If we all knew how the exchange rate was going to go then we would all be investing in it. Its just another form of legalised gambling.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Don't believe the so called experts. Last year they said the $NZ, which was about 85cents US, started dropping in August down to 78 cents and the experts all said it would fall to about 70-74 cents where they said it would settle for the next year. I transferred $NZ to $US while it was 78 cents, saw it fall to about 76 cents over the next couple weeks and then rapidly climb back up to 82 cents from where it has steadily climbed now to about 87 cents.
So I agree with Ben. Buy when can afford and need.
I think the experts are just reading the Tea leaves like everyone else.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I agree. Buy when you can afford it, I too was constantly looking at the dollar and trying to buy from china when it was strong. The one thing I noticed though is that the sellers appeared to put products on special when the dollar was weak and then they would not be on special when the dollar was up again.
So at the end of the day it would all cost about the same.
Lets face it, when you are spending hundreds of dollars, a few dollars here and there means nothing.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The experts base their advice on data collected 3 months ago, so the reality is no one can predict the future. If we had listened to the experts at the beginning of the year then the Aussie was set to be around the mid 80s by now.

So buy when you can because currently the Aussie dollar has been fairly stable give or take a cent