1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

TO ALL NEWBIES dmx

Discussion in '101 Display Basics' started by bjpc2716, Oct 26, 2015.

1. bjpc2716

bjpc2716 need more lights to light up the world

Find Me On:
    dueing the week in the chat room the question came up where i can get dmx controller this question came many time here is the answer for the final time they are 2 supply here there are hanson electronics mega 60 and dmx36. other advatek votex rgb controll can be purchase over the net. and lor controller who wants to use other controller wirh it you will need lor- esta dmx rj45 adapter from audio visual devices

2. firebug

firebug Senior Elf

Wait..........

What? ???

3. EmmienLightFan

EmmienLightFan One of few displays in the UK

Find Me On:
    This is not a list of DMX controllers.

This is a list of a few manufacturers of DMX RGB controllers.

There are hundreds of lighting controllers, as well as controllers for other things, that take DMX.

DMX is not just for Christmas lighting as some person I met on the LOR forums once thought.

4. TrumpyAl

TrumpyAl New Elf

As a genuine noob (less then 5 minutes old), I can say categorically that this thread was of absolutely no use :eek:

5. i13

i13 Senior Elf

I'll just reword and elaborate on this.

The DMX controllers are typically used to control 3 channel dumb RGB lights and any low voltage store bought lights except for the ones with an 8 function controller AND only two wires going to the lights. The answer to the question of where to buy these controllers is Hanson Electronics (ACL member AAH). Ray Wu also sells a very cheap and reliable 27 channel controller that just needs a small modification before use.

The Advatek PixLite controllers are for pixels which give you individual control of the colour and brightness of every LED. They have a great reputation but again there are other options; Clap Supplies (ACL member BensChristmasLights) is the Australian distributor of J1sys controllers plus there might be group buys for the ultimate F16v2. Most of these pixel controllers have DMX outputs to they can send the signals to run the DMX controllers.

This is actually something I didn't know was available but I'll have an attempt at explaining what I think it is. When a CAT5 (or similar) cable is used to carry the DMX signal, only three of the eight wires are used. Light-O-Rama controllers can run with a DMX signal but they use a different three wires. I'm guessing Audio Visual Devices (ACL member David_AVD) sells an adaptor because your source of DMX signal will use a different three wires. Having said this, I don't recommend LOR controllers due to the price of the DC ones and the lack of compatible lights in Australia for the AC ones.

6. kane

kane Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    Well deciphered i13

Hopefully the thread is a bit more useful to you now TrumpyAl