To Strip or Not to Strip.

SLIMaxPower

New elf
I have moved all my existing strip onto bosco and cable tie that to your conduit etc. The only damage I have had from strip in the last 3 years was on my megatree due to user error.

ElSalZi

Full time elf
I wonder why no one uses a low cost aluminium flatbar’with their strip and then use heatshirnk to not only seal it but also secure it to the flat bar...?!?
4mm Ali fb is under $4 a length... I suspect it is cheaper than electrical conduit...

I haven’t done this yet, but seems like a good alternative...

damona

Full time elf
I was thinking about backing the strips with aluminium before connecting to conductance.

cdallen

New elf
I'm using strips and invested in so E suntuf polycarbonate end caps ... I can't get them to stick.. I used double sided automotive tape that seems to stick to everything excrpt my house! What should I use?
Leaning towards semi permanent.. bit will go permanent if I have to

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
I'm using strips and invested in so E suntuf polycarbonate end caps ... I can't get them to stick.. I used double sided automotive tape that seems to stick to everything excrpt my house! What should I use?
Leaning towards semi permanent.. bit will go permanent if I have to
Ive used rare earth magnets, heat shrinked them and then siliconed onto the end cap. Magnitises to the facia or colourbond with no issues. Not sure what you are trying to mount to but hope this helps.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
I like this topic !
Also great to see all the different opinions and processes everyone uses.
I use strip and nodes also but they both have there purposes In our display . Strips for creating straight edges and arches works for me and nodes for wire frames and custom elements! I feel that they both have there advantages and disadvantages !
Strips I have been using for possibly 5 to 6 years nodes around 2 or 3years.
Now strips for me still physically look fine except for the repairs wich is common I personally never ever cable tie over solder joins as with my experience breaks solder joints unless. I will sometimes cable tie across a dodgy for that evening to create a contact too keep show running then fix when able to. I also find that the solder joints seem to oxidise and degenerate over time possibly cheap solder used in manufacturing. But once I repair a joint never have a problem again. Now repairing strip for me I find easier than nodes and generally repair whilst there running never had a problem yet ! But wouldn't recommend doing it . Not uncommon to see me out amongst the lights with a half lit strip draped across the wheelie bin with me gas soldering iron !
Now the nodes luv em but my biggest disappointment after first season of use is the nodes discoloration in weeks due too sun although still work fine and look great at night .until this year haven't needed to repair at all so definite advantage there!
But so far this season we have experienced severe weather in adelaide hot cold hail rain and the winds that strong blew down my colorbond fencing even! We have been running show since 10th November . Anyways so yes had to repair two display elements consisting of nodes and they are this years builds not sure how and why yet but found it a pain in the ass to repair first element only needed 1 replacement node other required 3 separate nodes over different areas! So obviously required 24 solder joints 24 heat shrink and also found only having a couple or few centimeters of wire to work with makes awkward an time consuming and on the otherhand strip one cut 3 blobs of solder an piece of heatshrink don't even use silicone anymore no troubles!
My only other thing with nodes is cost and having to mount in a strip etc to form straight lines etc !
But perfect for me with wireframe elements .
Anyways thats my thoughts and beliefs
Cheers an merry xmas

JPB

Full time elf
I have two panels of strip, one either side of my garage and one of them is getting regular failures with pixels seemingly becoming unsoldered from the strip (apply pressure and they start working again) and I think I have just worked out why.
The panels are a wooden frame (42x19 pine from Bunnings) with black corflute over them and then 10 verticals of 30 led per metre strip cable tied on. The problem is the panels face west and heat up in the hot sun and the corflute expands bulging outward. This causes the strip to be put into tension and the constant pressure is enough for a pixel to fractionally detach from the strip. I will have to put extra battens across the back of the panel to allow more fixing points for the corflute to try and limit it's expansion.

Stirlo

New elf
Would you have any pictures of your mega tree done with strip that you could share OP?
And how are you fixing that much conduit to your roof??

Joshaaye

Hoping that everything still works..
Just gonna revive this thread, because almost 2 years later, I want to know if any of your thoughts have changed. I'm getting ready to make the plunge and I just can't stop myself from loving the look of strips for the outline of the house in particular.

I also love @keithsw1111 videos with the what I believe is a strip mega tree making cool little images and telling a story, so im considering making a strip mega tree as well. (Can this be done and still look as effective with strings instead?) Here is Keith's mega tree with strips (i believe)

I guess I just need to be ultra careful with it all and accept that at times I will need to (learn to) replace LED's. I definitely want to hear your thoughts though please. Especially if you were in this conversation and were heavily on favour of one or the other, but now your opinion has changed.