toowoomba floods 10/01/11

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Wishing all those who are missing loved ones that they will be reunited soon. My condolences to the families of those that died in the tragic freak act of nature.

XDU

Full time elf
Sorry Steve..... saw a couple of pontoons floating down the brissy river but there were no boats attached

jeffrae

Apprentice elf
Hi Guys

Just to let you know that my Packed up xmas RGB leds are heading down the brisy river heading back to China!!!!!

We left before the water got to high have seen live footage of houses around us almost to the roofline at 11 am this morning. Peak at Ipswich was at approx 4 pm today. I think all persons from around Brisbane terrace left the water hit.
I was able to load photos, personal doc and clothes into car. My xmas lights and contollers were not included

we are staying with my son in wynnum west. We may be able to return to the house on friday to see what can be recovered.

We are well off compared to the people from toowoobma and lockyer valley we had warning and were able to leave before the waterhit.

My thoughts also go out to the families and friends of the deceased and missing.

PS my wife said now i will have to spend more time planning for this year display as I have a clean slate to work from.

Jeff Rae and Family

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
the only one missing still is tootles an she was in the middle of it being in toowoomba itself.
has anyone see a hummer going down the river, something tells me she wont leave it.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Hey dudes,
Sorry, been a little busy . . . . I work in the CBD in Toowoomba, fortunately we are 1 street up from the horrific images everyone's been seeing. However due to the catastrophic nature of the rain event all streets turned into rivers. In the space of time it took me to run down the street to buy a mop, our downstairs section filled with 3 inches of water damaging 2 offices, partially damaging carpet in 2 other areas and stuffing the lino in all the hall ways, it also rendered said mop useless at this point. We also witnessed a rather unusual event of the logs bordering our gardens start to wash away, never thought I would hear the phrase "Crap, someone grab the garden it's washing away". We do count our blessings though, all we've had to deal with is clean water damage - sure the carpet's stuffed and there's furniture to be replaced and a few records to dry out. Thank goodness it's not the mud and muck that I saw many business cleaning up today. Having never been in a flooding situation before, I am totally struck by the smell. Today was a relatively clear and warm day, and all you can smell is . . . . damp, damp carpet, damp earth, damp vegetation, downtown just stinks of being wet.

At home I am very lucky to be at the crest of a hill, the front yard filled with water but it never came into the house and drained away fairly quickly once the rain stopped. The other half works at Oakey, fortunately it was his first day off and was home at the time.

To all who are dealing with this flood at this very moment or cleaning up from the start of the week, my heart goes out to you. I hope you and your family are all safe.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
I had to chuckle when I took this photo. One hallway has a leak, doesn't matter how much rain we have it's there. Have have had countless people look at it over the years, but it still manages to be there no matter what anyone does. We've just put it down to being an old building thing. So we have to put up a "wet floor" sign every time it rains . . . . even though only 2 people use the hallway and they're both long time employees and they know about the leak. God bless OH&S. So this sign took on a whole new meaning once the water came in. The boss was happy we covered our OH&S obligations. ;)

Attachments

• wet floor.JPG
    wet floor.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 21