Tree set up question

Habbosrus

Back again
I am planning a 2d tree with 12 strips x 30 pixels. Early on in my sequencing I set up the tree with all strips going from bottom to top. In doing this I am going to have to run cabling (data & power) from the top of each strip back to the bottom. I am planning to inject power every second or third strip. My query relates to the data having to stretch over a greater distance an extra (33 metres overall). Am I likely to experience any issues with this set up? Maybe I should have zig zagged, bottom to top, top to bottom and so on.

kane

Dedicated elf
You need to worry less about the total distance, and more about the maximum distance between any two pixels. If you are looking at 5metre length strips, then an "up, up, up" arrangement will have runs of 5 metres between each strip, which may not work too well. You might find yourself having to add null pixels to ensure things work well..

The best thing to do would be to set it up with exact lengths of cables that you'll be using, and test it out.. Everyone seems to have different mileage with this issue!

ShellNZ

Senior elf
My tree is 24 strips of 25px, 12v 2811. It starts going up, then down, then up then down etc. I inject power at the end of every 4th strip (4x25px -10m). Goes well :) Uses up 6 slots of P12 :)

burner

Full time elf
This year, I'll have a 20 * 33 pixel setup and will be going up-down-up-down-up (5 runs per universe/zone). I have it all layed out on the floor in the hallway at the moment. I'm injecting at the base of every down section, next to where the PSU's will be.

kane

Dedicated elf
I agree that "up,down,up,down" is the easiest way to do it, and is exactly what I would do.

I don't know of any advantages in doing an up,up,up arrangement, unless you're running each string on it's own output..

Habbosrus

Back again
Kane said:
I agree that "up,down,up,down" is the easiest way to do it, and is exactly what I would do.

I don't know of any advantages in doing an up,up,up arrangement, unless you're running each string on it's own output..

It was a misunderstanding in my learning curve. I started sequencing earlier this year for the very first time and set up my tree with all strips starting from the bottom. I think I'll have a huge job in front of me if I change my sequences now. Time for some testing.

kane

Dedicated elf
Habbosrus said:
Kane said:

It was a misunderstanding in my learning curve. I started sequencing earlier this year for the very first time and set up my tree with all strips starting from the bottom. I think I'll have a huge job in front of me if I change my sequences now. Time for some testing.

If you are using a j1sys controller, and are keen to make your wiring job easier, you can use the effects page to help you out here, as it offers a way to configure strings in "reverse", to save you having to change your sequences.

Basically, if you have 10 strings, you'd setup strings 2,4,6,8,10 to be in reverse, and the controller does the mapping for you. I haven't used it myself, but I know it's in there (in the effects tab)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Sounds like you are using a P2 for your tree, personally I find the P12R or S better for this arrangement due to using 2 strips per output, but i also inject power at the bottom of the second strip.

But a P2 will still do the job. So the best way is to use zig zag and inject power at the bottom of each strip. Injecting every 4th will most probably give you some pinking in sections of the strip as this wouldnt be enough injection. So the best way is just to add power to the bottom of each strip and have the data connected in a zig zag fashion, this would give you the best and most reliable results when using the P2

Now if you drew it all as being data from the bottom then you are going to need to make a decision, either use a J1SYS P12S and use a strip per output or change the sequencing.

Habbosrus

Back again
I've had to do everything to a realy strict budget as I've only recently returned to work after a long lay-off. I'm using Sandevices E6804 which I bought in kit form and built myself. I just checked the manual online (cos I'm at work at the moment) and I think I might be in luck. There is a zig-zag function in the firmware set up page :D :D :D . I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Habbosrus said:
I've had to do everything to a realy strict budget as I've only recently returned to work after a long lay-off. I'm using Sandevices E6804 which I bought in kit form and built myself. I just checked the manual online (cos I'm at work at the moment) and I think I might be in luck. There is a zig-zag function in the firmware set up page :D :D :D . I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

You will then have to modify your sequence to suit the physical layout of the tree as you have each strip fed from the bottom

kane

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
You will then have to modify your sequence to suit the physical layout of the tree as you have each strip fed from the bottom

Are you sure about this Eddy - although I haven't done this, I'm pretty certain you can do the mapping in the controller, and leave the sequence as it is? So the sequence sees it as up,up,up, but the controller maps it to up,down,up,down..

Habbosrus

Back again
I will try a couple of things over the next few days and report back with my findings. I may also have some more questions along the way.
A big thank you to everyone for helping me get this far. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Habbosrus

Back again
I connected lights for the first time tonight, changed settings on e6804 to zig zag and it worked perfectly. I am a very happy CLAPper this evening.

kane

Dedicated elf
Habbosrus said:
I connected lights for the first time tonight, changed settings on e6804 to zig zag and it worked perfectly. I am a very happy CLAPper this evening.
Good to hear - thought you'd be able to get away with that.. Always good to get a happy clapper!