Trigg Lights 2013

kane

Dedicated elf
Just thought I'd re-post my vids for later reference!

Quite funny - after lunch on Christmas Day, we had a knock on the door - it was one of the guys from Birds of Tokyo, who had heard that we'd used one of their songs for our lights. He was back in Perth for Christmas and was around the corner, so thought he'd pop in and say hello. Was quite a spin out - he was stoked we'd used their song, and obviously I was stoked they'd heard about it, and he'd come to say hello (one of his friends had taken a video of it and sent it to him)

Trigg Christmas Lights 2013 (Asta - I Need Answers) on Vimeo

Trigg Christmas Lights - 2013 - (All I Want for Christmas) on Vimeo

Trigg Christmas Lights - 2013 - (The Groove Gallery - Sugar Plum Fairy Remix) on Vimeo

Trigg Christmas Lights - 2013 (Calvin Harris - Feel So Close) on Vimeo

Trigg Christmas Lights - 2013 (Birds of Tokyo - Lanterns) on Vimeo

Cheers

Bird

LOR user
Again, excellent work.

Just goes to show, IMO, most groups take our use of their songs as a flattering compliment.
Kane said:
one of the guys from Birds of Tokyo, who had heard that we'd used one of their songs for our lights.

- he was stoked we'd used their song, and obviously I was stoked they'd heard about it,

hdracer

There is no rehab for the CLAP
Very cool display Kane,

Im glad they didn't take your spirit this year! Did they catch the idiots whom tried to ruin your holiday spirit? What ever became of that?
How did you bounce back so quick on the display? Inquiring minds want to know....

I loved your shows, awesome job!

kane

Dedicated elf
hdracer said:
Im glad they didn't take your spirit this year! Did they catch the idiots whom tried to ruin your holiday spirit? What ever became of that?

Nah, they didn't catch them - unless someone was able to recognise them and report them, it was always going to be a long shot. Did get a lot of exposure on the news (evening news for all commercial networks, plus the paper and a few of the radio stations), and also 40,000+ hits on facebook of the video footage, but no luck.. Not the end of the world though - and can't exactly expect the police to waste too much resources on it!

hdracer said:
How did you bounce back so quick on the display? Inquiring minds want to know....

The three main things that were damaged were the tree, the candy canes and one of the leaping arches. The candy canes weren't too badly damaged, so I was able to get them presentable with some white cable ties - will probably replace a couple of the fronts for 2014.

The leaping arch required repairing the pixel strip - which was a bit of a mission with the type of strip it is (embedded in resin), but managed to get that going)

The main damage was the actual tree structure, the 3metre uprights were all broken in half - so these needed to be repaired (which luckily I had a company offer to do this for free, and quickly).. Then, it was just a heap of time spent on it (by myself and a bunch of friends and family that offered to help) to firstly untangle the mess (about 1km of cable in a big pile), to get the individual strings coiled up.. Once this was done, just needed to fix up a couple broken strings (or use spares I had), as well as fix up 3-4 of the pixel strings that were also damaged...

When the replacement structure came back, was able to get the tree back up and running the next day, so all good!

kane

Dedicated elf
Oh, and here's a photo of me with Glenn from Birds of Tokyo - excuse the stupid grin on my face, you can't half see I was a bit surprised to get the visit!

And had another chance meeting with another of the artists that I used - Asta. She was stoked that I'd used the song for the lights (she posted my video on her own facebook page), so when I saw her play at Southbound festival yesterday, I couldn't turn down the chance to get a photo with her and say hello.. I did introduce myself as the crazy Christmas lights guy, which made it easy for her to work it out!

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Attachments

• BoTvisit.jpg
    BoTvisit.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 55
  • Asta.JPG
    Asta.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 55

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What an honour to get a visit and meet some of the musicians that you used in your show. You should hit them up for a live concert in front of the house for 2014 :D LOL

Anyway how did the traffic go with so much exposure?

hdracer

There is no rehab for the CLAP
That's awesome you received such kind help from so many.... Nice pics with the folks from a band you seq'd a song to! What an awesome experience!

kane

Dedicated elf
Fasteddy said:
What an honour to get a visit and meet some of the musicians that you used in your show. You should hit them up for a live concert in front of the house for 2014 :D LOL

Anyway how did the traffic go with so much exposure?

Hahah, yeah - BoT posted a video of my lights to their facebook page (one of their friends had sent them a video from his phone), and a bunch of the fans suggested a surprise gig.. That would have been great! Most of the band was back in Sydney though where they now live (they're from Perth originally).

Traffic was certainly pretty busy, but not too crazy.. Given we have the bushland across the road, there's plenty of verge that people can pull up on, so it worked well.. Be interesting to see how much we raise this year though!

Cheers

Kane

caffeine

Full time elf
I really like your display. Extremely neat and a great use of your house and space.

Good to see you smiling after a bad start to the season.