3.x trouble with vixen 3

hamish

New elf
I have just recently started playing with sequencing software for next year and I seem to like vixen 3 as I find it rather easy to navigate, my problem is with the display preview I have set up a 24 channel mega tree in my display ( 2d 8 strips rgb) and set up a 8 strand 180o tree in my preview my problem is when I try sequencing only string one will preview 2 thru to 8 will not how ever if I run a chase on the group all strings will preview , what am I doing wrong guys ? I also have a roof line drawn up in preview with straight line tool but only sections of the line will display ? this is 1 string , im a little lost any help would be appreciated thanks
hamish

battle79

Full time elf
When you go in display preview to set up mega tree, click on the megatree on the left to highlight it.

Then click on the megatree icon up the top, two to the right of the rainbow icon.

Next click and hold and drag out to desired size and release. If it's pink you did it right.

I'm guessing only your first string/channel is linked. By selecting your megatree before drawing you automatically link it.

Alternatively, you can select the tree in the display window and click on Element Links: setup and manually link them.
This is not to much of a chore for 24 channels. At the top of the dialog box that pops up you need to go through each string one at a time and drag the correct channel from left hand side across into it on the right.

Hope that all makes sense.

Couple links to some tutorial videos:

http://www.vixenlights.com/vixen-3-documentation/video-tutorials/
http://www.youtube.com/user/VixenLightsSoftware?feature=watch

Cheers,
Rowan

hamish

New elf
this is how I made the tree , when I select the tree all is pink as I select each string individually they go pink on the preview. I deleted everything and started fresh to find it was doing the same thing. I then closed everything down opened it back up an hour or so later and they where working how ever every now and again a mark in the sequence will not preview ie on a chase I might get 1-8 work first time then 5 n 6 might not work the next then it might skip 2 and 3 then work , its got me baffled

battle79

Full time elf
What version of the software are you using?

If using 3.0.10 you should not have any of the mentioned problem. If using a development version than anything is likely as they don't all work. Hence development in the name.

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling, but if you can recreate the fault and the conditions that create it, then lodge a bug at:-

http://bugs.vixenlights.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

They will look into it.

Cheers,
Rowan

hamish

New elf
yeah that is the version I am using . it seems to be a problem with using the pulse effect if I choose another effect they work . am I right in thinking this is the only way to flash a string on and off

hamish

New elf
mmm I seem to have sorted this , as I was sequencing to a song I was pausing and right clicking and pasting my effect this doesn't seem to work , u have to not just pause but stop the playback before pasting the effect and all is good ::)

hamish

New elf
:D look forward to that.
another question I have is when making a custom prop is there a way to select all strings as vixen puts it and associate at once to an element , its a bit of a pain going thru each section (string) and associating them with the same element

adski

Dave Brown
Not yet, but that's a feature that's been requested a few times, so I think it will be on this year's TO DO list.

Dave

hamish

New elf
oh well as long as its free and im saving money I cant complain too much 8)