tryin to understand patching and setting up controllers

bassnbuck

New elf
I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction for information about patching and setting up pixlite 16 or p12s. I have look at alot of things and i havent found any thing that goes step by step. i have watch videos but it appears to jump around that. I dont want to get everything set up in the preview if i cant figure out the patching.

some of it might be the terms, as i was setup an e1.31 controller i right clicked and it asks for number of channels, when you click on that it says controller output, what is it looking for? when working with rgb is it number of pixels or number if channels?

Also wondering if there is an easy way to set up a zig zag matrix with patching?

scamper

Dedicated elf
What program are you running?
In Vixen 3 it is fairly straight forward as after you tell in what the elements are and what controllers you are running it is or can be automatic. ie patch to next available channels.
it does patch every colour.
but if you are using something else then I can't help.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
As I found out, the hard way, you can patch any output to any channel on any controller.

1. Tell V3 which controllers you are using.
2. Grab the outputs you want to put on that controller.
3. Grab channels on that controller (more than you need works as well).
4. Patch

You can patch as small as 1 channel, or as many as your controller will hold.
Patch a complete mega-tree in a couple of clicks.

As my display is currently physically set up, we have the chance to see how something really looks, make changes, and then check again in the real world. We do a lot of patching to make changes.

I have all of my Renard based stuff in a group in the order the Renards are wired. I then patch this group to the universe I want it to go to (in my case universe 1, controller channels 1-305).

I then pick another starting point and patch all my pixels. (Here again, in my case it is universes 2-9, starting on channel 513.)

Though both of my main controllers are E1.31, this works with any controller (USB Dongle, E1.31, Pixelnet, etc.)

There is a good tutorial on the vixenlights.com site. (Actually, they reference doityourselfchristmas.com, where the vixen 3 forums are at.)

Have fun and good luck.