1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Trying to get my head around Vixen 3

Discussion in 'Sequencers & Software Tools' started by grahami2006, Jul 28, 2014.

1. grahami2006

grahami2006 Full Time Elf

I have a megatree which is controlled by a P2 and the rest of my elements run through Ray's 27 channel controller. Question is how do I set up the controllers in Vixen 3.
    I have started by using an E131 for the megatree but when I try to add a DMX Open controller the programme shuts down.

2. damo1271

damo1271 Full Time Elf Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    I have P2's configured in my display and tried to add an open DMX controller just then. No problems and the program did not shut down. I only added 12 channels on the open DMX though - but everything seemed fine.
    Not sure if this helps...

PS I am using a test/build release of vixen 3 - 3.0.11. I dont have an earlier version to test with - maybe someone else has a formal release version just in case it is a version specific thing.

3. OP
    OP
    grahami2006

All sequencing done and need to set up my controllers but having a bit of a brain drain.
    I am using a USB485 RJ DMX dongle and from there to Ray's 27 channel controller.
    I have four singing faces each with 7 dumb rgb for the facial expressions.
    My questions are
    1. Do I set up the controller with 7 0r 21 outputs and then how do I set the dipswitches on the 27 channel controllers?
    2 I have set up each face as a separate element with (subelements) such as outline, eyes etc. Was this the correct way to do it?

4. battle79

battle79 Full Time Elf

I haven't use Vixen with a USB dongle yet, but you just need to know if it opem DMX or DMX pro.
    Other people have it working, so I would ask questions if you can't get it going at:- http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?96-Vixen-3

1) I would set up your dongle as all 27 channels even if some are not used. To set up start channel just follow instructions in link:-
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/27-channel-Easy-DMX-LED-controller-dmx-decoder-driver/701799_378111925.html

2) How you setup your elements is the right way, when you map elements to channels you just have to do once for each face, first face to 1-21 (7 x RGB), second face to 28-48, etc.

Best of luck with it,
    Rowan

5. smartalec

smartalec Im a SmartAlec what can i say! Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    i herd you need the dongle allready setup on the computer first before vixen will see it
    i also herd there is a bug report on this topic..
    but people have done workarounds an got it going..

have you tryed the other dmx controller in the list?

6. OP
    OP
    grahami2006

So does anyone know what type of dongle this is. USB485RJ-ISO. I looked on AVD website and can't find whether it is open or pro.

7. Sam

Sam I have got C.L.A.P

I was in the same kinda situation recently. Basically determined whether it is open or pro. Restart your computer (This is essential to it working for most). Power up board and plug into computer. Vixen automagically connects to the board. Now it should work. Other thing needed possibly could be USB drivers. Depends really....

Hope I assisted.

Sam