Trying To Start

splasheye

New elf
Hello,started let again this year looking at trying to put a small AC controller light display up this year to use my old AC lights.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL.
Controlling AC lights is the most expensive control method typically. There's only a few ready to go options. Light-o-rama make some AC controllers that are expensive (compared to DC ones) and there's now a few DMX controlled AC dimmers appearing on Aliexpress.

Simba666

New elf
Welcome to ACL.
Controlling AC lights is the most expensive control method typically. There's only a few ready to go options. Light-o-rama make some AC controllers that are expensive (compared to DC ones) and there's now a few DMX controlled AC dimmers appearing on Aliexpress.

I noted on my lights at home that plug into AC power, they all have a transformer box which i presume drops voltage down to 12 volts. Silly question maybe, but can we remove that box and AC plug and add a new pigtail connector and use existing lights on a 12v controller like the falcon?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I noted on my lights at home that plug into AC power, they all have a transformer box which i presume drops voltage down to 12 volts. Silly question maybe, but can we remove that box and AC plug and add a new pigtail connector and use existing lights on a 12v controller like the falcon?
The plugpacks will have a voltage on them 31V DC is fairly common with newer lights but older lights can be 12V AC, 24V AC, 36V AC or any number of other alternatives. The Falcon F16 and F48 are pixel controllers rather than DC dimmers but the F16 at least has a DMX output which can control DMX DC dimmers. Alternately my 2811DC15, 2811DC30 and 2811DC2-30 can control low voltage led strings that have the plugpacks removed.
I created a bit of a doc at https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/typical-connection-examples.10937/ which shows how some of my boards get connected and between that, the ACL101 and the manuals for my 2811DC and DMX boards on my site they should provide most of the info you need.

splasheye

New elf
AAH thanks for the information. I have been looking at the Holiday Coro AC 16 controller. The reason like i said was starting late, already have the old style lights and was thinking just to order the controller would be the way to go this year because it is to late to start getting the WS2811 lights. I had asked Holiday Coro about there ac controller they got back with some general answers, but when i started asking about what controller I would have to use in xlights, thats where the communication stopped. So i am in limbo do not want to buy something and not know how to use it. They did tell me that I could use the AC controller and there pixel controller in the same show so I would not be using the AC controller for one year only.

Simba666

New elf
AAH thanks for the information. I have been looking at the Holiday Coro AC 16 controller. The reason like i said was starting late, already have the old style lights and was thinking just to order the controller would be the way to go this year because it is to late to start getting the WS2811 lights. I had asked Holiday Coro about there ac controller they got back with some general answers, but when i started asking about what controller I would have to use in xlights, thats where the communication stopped. So i am in limbo do not want to buy something and not know how to use it. They did tell me that I could use the AC controller and there pixel controller in the same show so I would not be using the AC controller for one year only.
Im in the same boat as you. I think i have decided that its all too hard with the AC lights and the way forward is with pixels on a Falcon controller. So i will be ordering RGBs this year and fixing them permanently to the roof line in the alloy flashing once i find where to buy it from. Then wire it all up and get the controller sorted. Biggest issue i am having now is measuring the roof line and working out how to wire it and if power injection will be required.