Turning down the output, or light intensity

Baf05

Full time elf
I see a lot of posts about running lights at less than 100%. Most people seem to be using 50% output or less.

The consensus seems to be to do this at the controller. I had a quick look at the settings in the J1SYS controller but there does not seem to be an option to change the output?

Can anyone help, or should I be doing this in xLights?

darylc

404 darylc not found
It's not a feature on the J1sys controllers from what I remember. You'd need to do it in your sequencer instead.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Ah yes I reckon you might be right there daryl ! I think I had to control the brightness of my j1sys through xlights . But yeah I personally turn all my pixels down to 20% brightness at the controller sounds crazy but at 100% is ridiculous blinding infact and at 20% is still very bright ! my thought is if for some reason all lights get stuck on due to software issue hopefully controller keeps his promise ? I also prefer to change rgb orders in controller s so when I get too xlights everything is simple and the same otherwise could be very confusing !
Cheers

Boof63

Senior elf
as above comments, the J1Sys can't be done on P2 at least, have to do in xlights or change controller to allow this function.
1. in xlights you can reduce the gamma by going into layout tab,- select an element - click on dimming curve- and reduce the gamma.
this will reduce the level for that element/model
2. as you sequence you reduce the gamma for each effect as you add it to the sequence, ie colour tab-change brightness.
I don't know of a general way to reduce everything at once, maybe somebody else has a easier solution
cheers Boof63

GCAllan

New elf
Have to agree with the grinch, had to turn my lights to 20% at my Pixlite controller as they were way too bright, only problem was I had to do the same in sequences with my Ray wu 27 chan as I had to do that in the sequencer and use curves to lower the brightness.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Would it not be easier to turn down the brightness in the sequencer only and be done with it? The software gets sent to all controllers, regardless of make & model, so it's a bit of a no-brainer imo. And should you need to change controllers, you know that the brightness has already been taken care of.
I think it has been suggested before to create an overall brightness button/dial etc for xlights.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
unfortunately, as @Boof63 said, to turn down brightness in xLights requires changing every effect; not very practical.
However, if you're using xSchedule to run your show, you can turn down the brightness there. There's also a turn down brightness on white function.
No idea if there's a similar function in FPP.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I reduce my models, not the effects. Yes a little annoying but once it's done it's done, you can then use any effect and it will already be overall lower brightness.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
One thing to think about - if you reduce your pixel output at the controller, that is it. Your "top end" is decided for you. (Most of the time, this is just fine.)

If you reduce your pixel output in the sequencer, when you need that one moment of "really bright" to make a statement, you can.