Turning off the show

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Got someone looking after the house tonight. I was thinking of letting the show run while they are here but need to be able to get them to turn the show off if it starts raining. I figured the easiest way was just to get them to turn the power point off and leave the computer running. Will turning off the power at the powerpoint whilst the show is active cause any damage to anything. I have a pixlite 16, 2811DC30 and LOR 240v controllers and some strip lights. The rest are bigw strings.

Thanks

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The last thing I always turn off is the computer. Depending on the software and controllers you have doing this may cause the software to stop running sequences as it may detect that the controllers aren't there.

multicast

Senior elf
Never turn it off! if you do the evil elves trolls will come and the world will end.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I am starting to understand what you mean by peoples expectations. I have never run my show or even my old static lights in the rain. But now people are still parking out the front waiting. It's been showering the last few days so my show has been off and now people are yelling to me down the street asking why it wasn't on. Haven't had any issues with water yet, touch wood but still not game to do it.

battle79

Full time elf
I'm down to only 9 240V rope lights and they are under cover, so I'm pretty happy to let it do it's thing. That said I've heatshrinked each wire and then heatshrinked with neutral cure silicon over the outer sheath of everything. Never had any water problems. Touch wood.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Only way to find out how waterproof it is, is to jump in with both feet and see what happens. And have spares of everything also.

Cheers,
Rowan