Tutorial Tonight. Nov 6, 7pm MST, 9pm EST. BIG Release, 3.6.0! Opengl, Pinwheel,

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Tonight will be the biggest release of content that we have done in the last two years.
I will post the new release 3.6.0 after 6pm MST, finishing up some minor parts.

Please BACKUP! Do a "File,Backup" before using any new release of Nutcracker. If you have dropbox, even better.

What: New major release 3.6.0, opengl.
We are branching tonight.
If you want to keep using the 3.5.2 code, you can stay on that for this season
or move to the new 3.6.0 release

Content in 3.6.0.
The PREVIEW and NUTCRACKER windows now use opengl to draw models. What does this mean? Very fast performance.
We tried a 100x100 matrix (30K channels), preview updates with no issue at 20fps. Tried 150x150 matrix (67K channels), still 20fps.
We then tried 200x200 matrix (120K channels), ran a butterfly effect. Smooth. The frame rate did drop down to maybe 10-15fps.

More content. Now that 3.5.2 introduced the Whole House Model, Dave Pitts worked on making things in the PREVIEW tab easier to draw with.
Now you can click to select in the preview tab, before you had to click on a model name to select. You can resize object using your mouse.

Dave added ability to load an image into the background of the PREVIEW screen.
Model brightness now works.
We also are releasing the Pinwheel Effect.

pinwheel.PNG

Here are release notes for tonight
XLIGHTS/NUTCRACKER RELEASE NOTES:
=================================
3.6.0 Nov 4,2014
-enh (dpitts) NUTCRACKER and PREVIEW windows now use OpenGL to draw objects. The result of this is xLights can now draw very
large objects with no delay.
-enh (dpitts) New ability to load an image into the background of the PREVIEW tab. There is a brightness slider to dim the image you
just loaded to give it a dusk time feel.
-enh (dpitts) New ability to set the resolution of the PREVIEW screen. Set the size and it will be remembered. This is needed to
help when making Whole House Models. This way you can always come back to the layout you had been working on.
-enh (dpitts) You can now click and drag objects in the PREVIEW tab. If there are multiple objects under your mouse click multiple
times and it will cycle through all of them
-enh (dpitts) Now objects are sized and rotated about their graphical center, This means objects do not move around
the screen if you resize or rotate.
-enh (sean) Added Pinwheel effect
-bug (dpitts) Model Brightness Now works
-enh (dkulp) Allow star layers to be ordered low to high (to inside layer first)
-bug (captmurdoch,materdaddy,dkulp) Modify make files and libraries so 3.6.0 can be compiled on MAC and on Linux

When: thurs, Nov 6th. 7pm MST, 9pm EST

We will be using teamviewer. Ill start session at 6:45pm MST

Please join the meeting, by clicking on this link:
http://go.teamviewer.com/v9/m93271823

Meeting ID: m93-271-823

If you have a microphone, click on the "Voice over IP" on the Teamviewer menu and unmute your headphone to be able to ask questions.

Habbosrus

Back again
BundyRoy said:
I'm in love with Pinwheel already. Thanks yet again.
Hey Bundy, I had pinwheel effect in a couple of sequences last year from the old Nutcracker 2.0 and the kids loved it. I'm glad it's making a comeback.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
audio problem with previous posting.

try this. https://vimeo.com/111247793. I re-recorded content from 3.5.0,3.5.1,3.5.2,3.6.0,3.6.1 and the future 3.6.2

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
A few bugs or problems I seem to be having

1. I try to create a whole house while in preview...I never see name get populated in models.
However, I will see it if I select models. I also can select it in nutcracker.

2. After creating a few effects and going back to preview.... I see nothing.

3. Select model groups, pops up a small window with nothing in it. I can not populate it either.

-blu

smeighan

Dedicated elf
A few bugs or problems I seem to be having

1. I try to create a whole house while in preview...I never see name get populated in models.
However, I will see it if I select models. I also can select it in nutcracker.

This is by design. The Whole House Model yous elect is NOT ever shown in the preview window. You add it as a column in your grid in the NUTCRACKER window. You put effects on it. Those effects will show up in PREVIEW.
If you had 100 models in preview, buid a hwole house model and we displayed it. You then press create whole house model . Your 100 models PLUS the new whole house model that has all of your lights would be included. This becomes recursive. We never saw the need to display the whole house model in PREVIEW

2. After creating a few effects and going back to preview.... I see nothing.

Are you pressing SAVE? PREVIEW only shows the data that is in the xseq. If yes, please send your xlights_rgbeffects.xml and your sequence xml to sean@meighan.net. DO NOT SEND xseq files.

3. Select model groups, pops up a small window with nothing in it. I can not populate it either.
Model groups is a future enhancement that Dave is woring on. On next release we will make it hidden since it does not have any coding in it.

thanks
sean

Ɠαяєтн

Mae gen i C.L.A.P ei heintus iawn
Hi Sean,

I have noticed that after creating a whole house model, I then create a new animation sequence with an effect (Butterfly for example), when I come to export the Whole House Model from the Nutcracker tab as an .lcb, xlights crashes. If I create an xseq, then convert to an .lcb, this works fine.

I have also noticed that the xlights.ico is missing in the install directory. In the preview tab v3.6.1, I have the play, pause buttons. I do not have the > and ■ button as shown in your tutorial. It is also not possible for me to 'scan' the preview to show effect with the slide bar.