Two Universe ECG-DR4?

budude

Way behind schedule - again...
dmoore said:
Take a close look at this photo: http://www.j1sys.com/Tutorials/E​CG/DSC_0221.JPG

In the photo are two boards powered off USB that have an ethernet port on one side and two RS-485 ports on the other. One is setup and running an LT-6803 controller.

Is this just a two universe version of the ECG-DR4?

Dave - your hidden link has an odd character between the "E" and the "C" in "ECG"...

dmoore

Senior elf
Hmm... How about this (Joshua - let me know if I shouldn't post this and I'll delete):

Attachments

• DSC_0221.png
    DSC_0221.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 96

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
I was 'afraid' someone would catch it!!!

yes - the mystery board is a DR2.

So ECG will come in 3 flavors (so far)

DMXRen8 - DIY kit 8 slaves (8 renard or DMX connections)

DR4 - A&T 4 slaves (4 renard or DMX connections)

DR2 - A&T 2 direct (2 renard or DMX connections)

please notice the distinction of direct vs slaves. The DR2 is doing the two RS-485s directly off the main processor. The DR4 and DMXRen8 have a dedicated co-processor for each connection. At 250kbps the load to do two uarts worth of data SHOULD be doable. It is prototype mode and could be limited and/or scrapped as a bad idea. But I don't think so. I used to do 8 lines of 38400 with a Z80 back in the '70s so the interrupt load to handle the UARTS shouldn't affect the processor. plus all of my products are running the PICs at 60-70% of their clock rate. One it saves power and two it gives me some growth room if I ever think it needs the extra CPU horsepower. The clock rate is software tuneable so a firmware upgrade can change the CPU speed.

Also, to be technical, each line is not LIMITED to one universe. Yes in its default modes it is using only one universe but with additional programming and alternate start codes we could add multiplexed universes in the future.

The DR2, not having slave co-processors, may not be able to do the multiplexed universes and/or RDM in the future. But, again, I think the horsepower will be there.

Good catch guys!

-Ed

occhristmas

New elf
Probably a stupid question - but what is making the pixels random colors? As shown in the photo, are the pixels displaying a default chase pattern? Or, is some software sending these colors to the pixels? And if so, if the pixels were aligned in a grid, would it make more sense? I know this is a silly question - but I am trying to piece all of this together.

Sorry that this question is off topic, but there are so many different conversations in so many different places.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
occhristmas said:
Probably a stupid question - but what is making the pixels random colors? As shown in the photo, are the pixels displaying a default chase pattern? Or, is some software sending these colors to the pixels? And if so, if the pixels were aligned in a grid, would it make more sense? I know this is a silly question - but I am trying to piece all of this together.

Sorry that this question is off topic, but there are so many different conversations in so many different places.

No stupid questions here, what is making these pixels flash or run with different colours is the sequencing software. For a lot of us we use Lightshow Pro which you can download a fully functioning demo from http://www.lightshowpro.com/content.php

You could put these pixels in a grid if you wished and use the matrix tools in lightshow pro to make up animations and effects, just one of the tools in lightshow pro to help you sequence these pixels.

occhristmas

New elf
Yes - I understand about the software, I just didn't know if the computer screen was showing the sequence or if it was showing a different type of testing window.

Could I request that a video be made showing the lights being controlled and maybe a split screen to see the lights and the software as it is controlling the lights? I have watched the LSP demos, but it seems that the patterns are moving way too fast and they seem a bit flashy/jumpy and not a smooth pattern.

I could get a general sense that the lights were kind of doing what the software was telling them to do, but I am not sure that I see the same results on the pixels as I would expect to see from the software.

If this is a request that can not be performed yet, I completely understand. I do think that it would probably help to see not only the setup of the different boards/outputs from the computer. I was thrown a curve ball by this usb driven stuff when I was just starting to understand the connection via the cat5 connection.

thanks!!!

dmoore

Senior elf
j1sys said:
Also, to be technical, each line is not LIMITED to one universe. Yes in its default modes it is using only one universe but with additional programming and alternate start codes we could add multiplexed universes in the future.

The DR2, not having slave co-processors, may not be able to do the multiplexed universes and/or RDM in the future. But, again, I think the horsepower will be there.

That will be nice to be able to have multiplexed universes down to individual devices such as the TP3212 so you could string more than 170 RGB pixels on a single string controller. Good things are coming to christmas lights!

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
OCC -

I noticed that I and others have not been 'directly' answering your questions. Others because they are not here standing behind me.

You asked: What IS driving ...?

The photos are a shot of a lash-up that I am using to burn-in/test all of my stuff before going to a show this weekend.

There is a DMXRen8 hooked up to several RenardSS8 units.

There is a DR4 hooked up to two RenardSS8 units, one LT-6803 controller via DMX, and (added since photo) one TP3212 controller via DMX.

There is also a DR2 hooked up to nothing because the non-slave version of the software is not working (written) yet.

ALL of this is being driven by Vixen through the E1.31 plugin and connecting to a cheap Ethernet switch. LSP would be better for the RGB stuff but I haven't had time to learn it yet.

I have a simple 1 minute sequence running in an infinite loop. Right NOW (and when the photo was taken) the ENTIRE minute for ALL channels is just filled with random noise. Before the show I expect to replace MOST of the random with some simple chases and gradients.

But either way the answer is Vixen via E1.31 to 3 different ECGs to multiple Renard/DMX devices. ALL at 25ms update rate.

-Ed

occhristmas

New elf
Ahhhhh....thank you! You answered exactly what I was trying to understand. I was concerned about the random colors not looking like anything that a sequence would look like - now that I know that it is noise, it all makes sense.

Thank you for such rapid responses - not to be disrespectful, but referring to the links provided are not helpful because I have read those posts over and over. Trying to combine what I thought I had understood from those posts and then seeing the pictures of the pixels actually connected - there was a disconnect.

Now that I know it is a continuous loop from vixen of noise has pretty much finally bridged the gap - with so much information flying around and then new/other products being discussed is a bit overwhelming for those of us who are not able to follow this developing technology daily.

Thank you!