TWO Wireless routers

Syd

New elf
I am planning to use espixelsticks for the displays. I am only going to have three or four props, i live in a townhome.

I read everywhere that you need to isolate your home net from the show net. So i dug out one of my old wireless routers that is running DD-WRT. It is going to be plugged into the main router, (I think)

Is there an article / video that explains how to do this - I just want to be able talk to both nets from my laptop (wireless) so I can control and such ...

The show will contain a PI with falcon to actually drive the displays ...

orchidman33

Full time elf
Hi Syd
Like you I am new to this, but I have setup a router on its own without internet access for my show. My Laptop, Pi and my phone can all log in to control the display.

Syd

New elf
If i am reading you right - you have a completely standalone router ... Never thought of that ...

so the pie lan connection is to my home net and wlan to this stand alone router - will have to play with that .... Thaniks

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
There really isn't a need to isolate your show from your home network.

You can easily just assign static IP's to devices using an app on your phone like fing to find unused IP addresses on your home network. Trying to understand bridging will confuse a lot of people when it comes to this sort of thing.

Unless you start experiencing a lot of lag on your network which is pretty hard to do just setup your DD-WRT router as an access point and use your existing home network. You will end up having less parts to troubleshoot and you will have access to the internet whilst you sequence and output to lights.