Understanding DMX addressing

Nodent

Apprentice elf
As I configured my E6804 I told it I had 200 pixels on output one.
It calculated the last address to be universe 2 channel 90.
This threw me for a second but I think I understand, correct me if I'm wrong.

Since each universe can only comprise of 512 that mean I can only have 170 pixels in universe 1 leaving 30.

Now the pixels are in channel groups of 3 and 3 X 170 = 510 leaving 2 channels in universe 1 unused.
So the Sandevice picks up the next pixel (171) at address - universe 2 channel 1 then ending at universe 2 channel 90.

So I would program my Vixen to
vixen-3display.jpg

Thank you
Nodent

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Nodent said:
As I configured my E6804 I told it I had 200 pixels on output one.
It calculated the last address to be universe 2 channel 90.
This threw me for a second but I think I understand, correct me if I'm wrong.

Since each universe can only comprise of 512 that mean I can only have 170 pixels in universe 1 leaving 30.

Now the pixels are in channel groups of 3 and 3 X 170 = 510 leaving 2 channels in universe 1 unused.
So the Sandevice picks up the next pixel (171) at address - universe 2 channel 1 then ending at universe 2 channel 90.

So I would program my Vixen to
vixen-3display.jpg

Thank you
Nodent

This is correct and something that does confuse many new to this hobby. But when we talk about universes normally we talk about 510 channels which equals 170 pixels, the othe 2 channels dont normally get used as 512 does not divide equally into 3

kane

Dedicated elf
Nodent said:
Thank you for that.

BTW what's the TTL at the right of the configuration screen?

I'm not a vixen user, but I would assume TTL is "time to live", which would perhaps be a setting to dictate how long the data is valid for. My guess is that if that's the default, leave it at that, unless you're having issues.