Unique ,looks simple but is actually complex .

angus40

Senior elf
I am curious as to how difficult this effect would be to acheive in other sequencers .

all comments welcome.

unique

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
well, im not too sure how difficult it would be to replicate (im guessing quite difficult however), I need to ask, what effect you are going for there? is there a pattern to the effect or is it just a shooting stream with some offshoots laterally?

angus40

Senior elf
this effect is travelling up and expanding horizontally while fading .
getting the timing perfect is giving me fits though , I will get this effect perfected .
believe it or not the first effect is the same throughout the video .
the channel order is the same also , the only thing that changes is the effect is mirriored horizontal and then vertical .

and in answer to the effect i am going for , this will be part of a larger effect .

I create effects in small segments, then i can copy and paste to create the over all effect .

kane

Dedicated elf
This has got me thinking about how I've always imagined the whole sequencing job (or at least a big chunk of it) could be sped up.

I'd love to be able to configure each of my elements, and then setup a list of effects that would apply to this element. For example, with a star, you might create effects to spin it, explode it, solid colour on, etc.

Then, you would stick the sequencer into "Conductor" mode, where you choose which element(s) you want to apply effects to. It then plays the music (with the visualiser being displayed to let you know what is happening with the other elements) and you use keys on your keyboard (or a korg midi keyboard or wii controller), to apply different effects at the different points. Once at the end of the track, it applies those effects for you.

For me, this would make the whole sequencing process less painful, but still be able to have your sequencing tightly mapped to the music, which is something I like to do. (I know some others are less worried about this).

It'd even open itself up for others in the household (maybe the kids, or heaven forbid, the wife!) to be able to do some sequencing, once you've got the base elements and effects setup..

Might be dreaming, but oh well..

angus40

Senior elf
with the use of pictures in nutcracker or .gifs in hls ,I have found that photoshot is the quickest way to design and create custom effects for large pixel elements .
What seems to me with sequencing is getting the beat tracked first that takes the time .
If there was an auto generate button for a beat track this would speed up the process exponentially.
dropping the effects to the beat track is a no brainer users just need to select a suitable effect for the mood of the music at that point in time.
I recall a chat with AP about rgb and sequencing them , he suggested that they set the mood .
I have to agree with that sequence effects bring the music to life and the right effect is key .

DanJ

Full time elf
Still a newbie here at sequencing (I have done about 6 or 7 songs so far in the last year). I totally agree about setting down the beat track first so all the stuff can be turned on & off "to the beat". I am currently working on Groove Gallery's "Sugar Plum Fairy Remix" and the first thing I did was capture the beat as the starting point. It is working really well to have that for the rest of the sequencing.