Upgraded OS to Windows 10 and now problem with the background image in xLights

orlandoal

Angry Elf!
Not my week at the moment....

I had an issue with scrolling text using windows 7 pro, someone pointed out that win 7 and scrolling text do not work properly, so to upgrade my OS. Managed to upgrade to windows 10 and for some reason, I can no longer see the image of my house in the layout, although it is showing in the background image field, I had installed the latest windows version of xLights yesterday 2022_18 and have tried reverting back just in case it was the new software.

I also tried to set a different image as the background, same problem with that image also.

I can see my props layout, but have a large light grey area where the house image is meant to be.

As far as I can tell, I do not have any more updates or hardware updates to run on windows 10.

Anyone seen this problem before?

Thank you

Alan

orlandoal

Angry Elf!
Thanks for the tip, I will give it a go.

And now you know why I never upgraded the PC in my garage from windows 7 pro to anything newer LOL

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Windows 7 default drivers are just as useless. The issue is not with Windows 10.
The issue is that you haven't installed the manufacturer driver for your devices, and are relying on the lowest-common-denominator out of the box driver.
You would have had the same issue initially with Win7 until the proper drivers were installed.

orlandoal

Angry Elf!
Did not go well at all, managed to upgrade to the very latest version of windows 10, did all of the updates, no newer video drivers after 2016 for this particular PC, even went to the intel site and run their tool for checking drivers.

Luckily I had an old MacMini not really doing much so I have installed that and at least the background image issue is resolved.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Install the Manufacturers Windows 8 or Windows 7 drivers for the laptop.

Those will be better than the Out-Of-Box VGA drivers that Windows installs.
Alternatively check Windows Update, it may install some there.

orlandoal

Angry Elf!
It's a very old HP Pro 3500, even the HP site shows support nothing better than windows 8 OS.

I am going to try to get along with the Mac and see what happens

vk3heg

Full time elf
It's a very old HP Pro 3500, even the HP site shows support nothing better than windows 8 OS.

I am going to try to get along with the Mac and see what happens

Windows 8 drivers should still install on win10.