Urgent - I've done it again

Charger

Apprentice elf
Morning all. Disaster struck in late November for the second year in a row. All was going well last night, but one of my power supplies seems to have blown this morning. Promised myself I would get spares this year, but everything else was over budget, so I was trying to be tight. Anyway, just hoping somebody in Brissy has a spare 12v 40A power supply that they could sell. Please!!!!!!

Just checked the last idiot who made a request like this and it was me from last year. What a dud!

Pesle

New elf
Ypu could look for an old computer psu, might be easier to find in an urgent situation

Kimbo3000

Apprentice elf
Ypu could look for an old computer psu, might be easier to find in an urgent situation
It may not be a straight forward task finding a PC PSU that supplies 40A on the 12V rail.. coz the Watt rating of ATX PSU's is a combination of 5V, 3.3V and 12V.

I would look in the wiki page for local suppliers and ring/email them.
You could also try arrow.com as they are pretty cheap and free shipping, but will take about a week (comes from US)

Also.. with a quick calculation of the pixels you are running (and/or possibly turning down the brightness) you may find you can get away with purchasing a smaller/cheaper 12V power supply.

Roosta

Full time elf
If u get real desperate places like jaycar will have them on the shelf..

Just be prepared to learn an expensive lesson..

Alternatively, without know much about your setup, if in a similar boat, I would consider moving the load across to another power supply and reduce the brightness to minimum until A cheaper replacement could be sourced..

Hanson electronics may also have them in stock and his quick turnaround on orders (sometimes too quick) is unrivalled in my opinion..

Good luck..

Charger

Apprentice elf
Thanks for the idea Pesle. Was just reading up on the Computer PSU's. Had not considered that before. Looks a bit confusing though and as Kimbo said, I don't think I will get 40amps I am after,

Kimbo, thanks for your advice also. Just took a look at the Wiki page. I am not sure if any of the suppliers are Brisbane based as I would need it today (Mrs has organised a Xmas light party). Will make some inquiries. Thanks.

Charger

Apprentice elf
If u get real desperate places like jaycar will have them on the shelf..

Just be prepared to learn an expensive lesson..

Alternatively, without know much about your setup, if in a similar boat, I would consider moving the load across to another power supply and reduce the brightness to minimum until A cheaper replacement could be sourced..

Hanson electronics may also have them in stock and his quick turnaround on orders (sometimes too quick) is unrivalled in my opinion..

Good luck..
I may have to try reducing the the output. I may end up with some dull lights though.

Thanks for your help

Ellis

Naughty Elf
I'm on the Gold Coast but pretty sure I have more than one spare at home.

If I do I'm happy to sell you one.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I may have to try reducing the the output. I may end up with some dull lights though.

Thanks for your help
Not really, depends if you have turned them down already, but if you turn from 100% to 50% you can't even tell the difference.
Do you power inject? If so you could always get 2 pc supplies.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I was the person that supplied the 30V 600W replacement PS to you last year.

I have a indoor 12V 350W and a couple of 12V 300W Waterproof PS spare. They are brand new.

I am happy to provide another one for you, however they are my spares so I would need to order more if you take any of them

I am in Karalee.

Geoff

Charger

Apprentice elf
Thanks all for your offers. I have halved the brightness of my sequences and I am surprised at how bright they still are. Will do some more testing and calculations tonight, to see if I can pull it off. I appreciate everybody's help and may still need to take one of you up on the offer. Thanks again.