Using Copyrighted Music

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
I got a fast reply..

Thanks for your email. Due to the volume of emails received it may take a day or two to respond, but I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Kind Regards
Felicity

(I feel sorry for Felicity this season..lol)

christmasdave

Full time elf
Are any of you that are applying to APRA collecting donations?
I see David's note included saying not taking donations, I wonder if you do take donations they will not approve the license?
I think it's OK, I just put it in there as I wasn't sure. I'm assuming it's more the commercial side of things they want to make sure isn't happening. In saying that though, It's not something I asked about either.

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
Are any of you that are applying to APRA collecting donations?
I see David's note included saying not taking donations, I wonder if you do take donations they will not approve the license?
The lady I spoke to said they'd probably be fine if you were collecting on behalf of a charity, but not on behalf of yourself.

Joshaaye

Hoping that everything still works..
Just got my email back asking for address and contact number to finalise the permit. I have NOT requested donations @djgra79

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
I just put all the info in the original email but also said not collecting donations and just got back the license today. So can't help on the question of donations

christmasdave

Full time elf
To answer the question of donations and narrow cast licence, I applied for this year already and changed my application to say I would potentially be accepting donations and all was approved!

I hope this helps :)

This is what I wrote:

Hello!

I know I am getting in a little early, but wanted to mark this of my 'to-do' list :)

I am looking at putting up a Christmas light display on my house this year (2022) which will include music played over a FM frequency, and through low power speakers in my front yard. It is intended for family and friends, however there is a likely chance, like with any private Christmas display, that the public may come to see it (COVID permitting). I did receive a licence for last year (2021) and have attached that approval if this helps with my application for this year.

Some details;
  • Full Name: ...
  • Address: ....
  • Contact Number: ...
  • Dates of Display:...
  • The display is not intended to be heard if you can’t see the lights, is personally funded and there is no commercial involvement. There is no advertising (paid or otherwise) in any manner and no fees will be taken.
  • There may be fund-raising for a charity such as for the local rural fire service, marine rescue (or that type of thing), but this would be for them and not financing the display in any way.
  • The music being played has been legally purchased by me via platforms such as iTunes.
Thank you for your time and please let me know if there are any further details I need to supply.

Kind regards,

David
-----------------
Response:
Hi David

Thanks for your email – you certainly are organised!

Based on the below, please find attached your complimentary narrowcaster licence for 31 October 2022; and 1 December 2022 to 27 January 2023.

I’ve included the attachment as well, however it hasn’t changed from last year.

If you have any questions at all, please let me know. I hope both your displays are a success!

Kind Regards
Felicity

I also again emailed One Music about playing the music via speakers (hello@onemusic.com.au) and asked if the info I received last year was still valid or if it had changed. The info I received last year was: "Performances of copyright musical works or sound recordings at private residence are considered to be 'domestic' in nature; and a general exemption is made in public performance licensing."

Response:
Hi David,

Thanks for your email.

There have been no changes to the advice below. You are fine to proceed with your Christmas display.

Kind regards,
Emma

Joshaaye

Hoping that everything still works..
I sent my email off yesterday and got my approval this morning. Kept my email very simple and just replied to last year's email. I also mentioned I am accepting donations and had no dramas.

My email:
Good afternoon Felicity

I saw some of the other Christmas Light people have already reached out, so I thought I might as well get in early and am once again writing to you this year to apply for a permit again to have music playing with my Christmas lights synchronised.
  • The display is NOT intended to be heard if you can’t see the lights.
  • It will not be broadcasted on a station that is currently used (or close to one).
  • This year we may be collecting donations for a local charity, but if we do, none of the money collected will be funding our own lights and will 100% being going to charity.

My address is ********************

Contact number: 04********

The first date of broadcast is planned for 22nd October 2021 for my Halloween display.

The final date of broadcast is planned for 31st December 2021 for my Christmas display.

Thank you very much

Their response:

Hi Joshua
Thanks for your email.
As your email addresses the criteria for a complimentary licence again this year, please find your licence attached for your reference. The other attachment hasn’t changed since last year, but I’ve also attached this as well.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
Enjoy the festive season!
Kind Regards

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
Mine is almost automatic, september seems to be an ideal time so basically send off my email on my birthday :D