using DD-100 with Open DMX dongle

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Had an interesting session with Danbar yesterday trying to get his dd-100 controller working. These little controllers except DMX input and output 2801 for these 12v pixel Modules.

After we sorted out a issue with the controller being labeled wrong for the clock and data we had a problem of not being able to use channel 1 when being controlled by an open DMX dongle.

The behavior was:
The modules are GRB
ch1 = nothing
ch2 = Green
ch3 = RED
ch4 = Blue
everything was off by one channel.

We found this to be very strange as it worked perfectly when using a DR-4 to send the DMX to it.

Phone a friend Time (thanks David_AVD)
The possible cause of the problem was the controller was possibly missing seeing the first packet of data sent to it due to the open DMX dongle. or something like that.
Turns out it mad sence in the end.

Loaded up LSP started the controller from ch2, reconfigured the string in LSP to be RGB and fired it up.

Problem solved.

JonB256

Full time elf
You say "Open DMX" several times but not "ENTTEC Open DMX"

If you are using an LOR or D-Light RS485 as an Open DMX, they will frequently skip channel 1. They don't have a really clean BREAK in their waveform.

If you are having that problem with an ENTTEC Open, then something is definitely wrong. Mine has always been flawless (same with the ENTTEC Pro).

Superman

Global moderator
No, Not using an Enttec.
This was using a LOR rs485 as an open DMX dongle, I haven't come across them skipping ch 1 but as i mention I think it is a controller issue as sending DMX from the DR-4 (E1.131 to DMX) didnt cause the same problem.
I would love to test this with an Enttec Open DMX device,but done have one.
I'm very certain it wouldn't happen with the Pro version.

EEJIM

New elf
I have built 4 of the RPM Enttec USB Pro compatible dongles and have them driving 4 DD-100 decoders driving 4 strings of 3 BGR strings of pixels in series. This is set up in the 12 ribbon christmas tree format and it works great. No missed channels that I can see.

Superman

Global moderator
EEJIM said:
I have built 4 of the RPM Enttec USB Pro compatible dongles and have them driving 4 DD-100 decoders driving 4 strings of 3 BGR strings of pixels in series. This is set up in the 12 ribbon christmas tree format and it works great. No missed channels that I can see.

Thanks for confirming this. I wasn't sure if the dd-100 had anything to do with the problem as well.