Using my noodle

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Probably no good for a lot of roofs but for trying to get the Stars that Ray sells to sit up a bit, I found cutting up one of those noodles kids use in a swimming pool makes then sit nicely between the troughs in a corrugated roof. Siliconed onto the back of the star. Might work also for corrugated type tiles. Any, just an idea to share.

zy3u4uba.jpg

mborg10

Michael Borg
I had a tiled roof so I sat my stars on the edge of the tile. I stuck Down zip tie mounts but with 100 stars I gave up and just sat the stars there and they didn't move anywhere.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Fortunately I only have 30 but it still meant siliconing 60 anchor points to the roof. I hope mine hold like yours did.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I have made my own stars this year (with strip and strips of black corflute) and will be attaching them with zip-tie mounts as well to the roofing. Hopefully they stay put :)

mborg10

Michael Borg
I didn't have any issue of them moving and they were up for like 2 1/2 months with nothing holding them down. The cables can be stiff and I had the stars spaced so the cables were at full tension.

I had a couple of storms as well which worried me but they didn't budge. I don't know of they would stay the same of a colorbond roof but I don't think you have to go overboard either. Just anchor some so they don't fall off the roof and you can always get back up and straighten them, but I never had to.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
Well they look the part Logan and I know my stars where a great hit last year so should lol good on yours too.

I'm interested to know if yours lived up to their waterproof status. We get a fair bit of rain here leading up to Christmas and I'm hoping the insides will stay dry.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Um no they do get water inside them but had no failures. If your worried I'd run silicone around the edge. Because I ordered 100 I got him to ship the covers separate to save space so I screwed all 100 covers on when I got them but I didn't use a sealant

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Fasteddy said:
Now will the stars float away when there is a heap of rain :)

By adding water to my instant noodles ( :) ) you raise a thought here that has just struck me. If they floated, then all well and good as the water could run away underneath them. But I am planning on fixing them down to the roof with cable ties which will mean the noodle segments will block the water running down the corrugation and could cause some water build up. I think I might have to do a test run with one of them..... just to be sure.