Using Raspberry Pi GPIO

mbl111

New elf
So I'm planning to use the GPIO pins of my Raspberry Pi 3 and FPP scripts to control the 240v power supply to my display.

From what I've read I think I will be able to use a Playlist to trigger a script that controls GPIO pins on my PI, which will trigger a bunch of 240v relays that switch power to my display. This is the relay module I have, not overly convinced on how much current I can actually put through something like this however.
arduino-iot-8-channel-opto-isolator-5v-relay-module-tensen-1804-08-F874852_1.jpg

Has anyone attempted something like this before? or does it seem like it will work?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'd also be concerned about the voltage isolation. Some of those boards have the tracks for the contacts running really close to the control side.

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
So I'm planning to use the GPIO pins of my Raspberry Pi 3 and FPP scripts to control the 240v power supply to my display.

From what I've read I think I will be able to use a Playlist to trigger a script that controls GPIO pins on my PI, which will trigger a bunch of 240v relays that switch power to my display. This is the relay module I have, not overly convinced on how much current I can actually put through something like this however.
arduino-iot-8-channel-opto-isolator-5v-relay-module-tensen-1804-08-F874852_1.jpg

Has anyone attempted something like this before? or does it seem like it will work?

I'd be concerned if you were connecting inductive loads, that could be prone to arcing.
You could always use the small relay to switch a larger, more robust and better insulated relay.
That would be safer.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
I wouldn't use that board to switch a 240v Load that has the potential of quite a bit of current. Those boards are really for 24v/12v Application and low loads. Just remember if you are putting 240v into a screw terminal that 240v is exposed at the rear of that board via Flowed Solder Tracks (Like cutting and stripping an extension cord then leaving the wires exposed on the the ground).

The relays are very cheap and normally used with low current / voltage circuits which they are great for. You can use Them to switch 240v but they are very bad at it and won't last long.

Go something Rated to Australian Standards if you can and find a way to switch it more reliably You will be safest having a DIN Rail Mounted Relay and then putting the relay in a consumer switchboard (From Bunnings / etc)

These can be referred to Contactors and / or Relays and you will notice the actual switching module is quite a sum larger.

You can get the china Contactors which will work but try find something that has a good current cutting capability and always switch off your power supplies when there is no load on them just to reduce arching / etc

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/35m...6c3b258&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

(The one linked might not do what you want. You need to check what coil voltage is required to be switched on by a Pi for example. Just make sure your contact capability is above and then some of what you want to switch.)