Using ws2811b strips for Mega Tree

Coppertop1973

New elf
Hi there everyone. New to this whole thing. Have my permanent lights going up now and my Mega Tree is the next thing I'd like to tackle.

I have a bunch of left over ws2811b strips that I would like to use to build a 10' Mega Tree (180 degree with 16 or 17 runs). What I'm wondering is what to use to support the tape. I thought about conduit or schedule 40 pipe and using zipties to secure but I'm sure someone else has done it and might have a better thought.

If it's a total "no-go" I'll find other decor and ways to use them and bite the bullet for the ws2812 strings.

Thanks.

Dreamin

Full time elf
I think with strip your best bet would be to do a flat tree. more manageable that way, you don't want strip flapping about. You could use the metal flats from Bunnings or something. Quite ridged and easy to attach via a bolt at top and bottom I suppose.
I know people don't like strip, but I don't have a problem with it, it does what it does if used in the right way to mount it. It's no more difficult to solder than soldering pixels wires really. Fixing issues is more interesting as you compromise the water proofing but it's cheaper, so you can just start again. I've found most of my issues have been them rotting away on the back exposing the copper, or dead pixels on old strip that I've stood on or bent.

Coppertop1973

New elf
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about a flat tree, but as the "centerpiece" of the display, I don't think it's going to have the look I'm going for with the size. For smaller trees in the display, I'm probably going to use your suggestion. I agree about the tape. I think there is a place for all types of lights and don't know why everyone seems so opposed to using strips if done properly and for the right elements. Didn't think about the rotting on the back, but all of mine are in covered channel or PEX pipe so far and they aren't exposed like they would be on the Mega Tree. That's something to consider as a downside to the idea as well. Thanks Dreamin.

Tonyf1949

New elf
Hi there everyone. New to this whole thing. Have my permanent lights going up now and my Mega Tree is the next thing I'd like to tackle.

I have a bunch of left over ws2811b strips that I would like to use to build a 10' Mega Tree (180 degree with 16 or 17 runs). What I'm wondering is what to use to support the tape. I thought about conduit or schedule 40 pipe and using zipties to secure but I'm sure someone else has done it and might have a better thought.

If it's a total "no-go" I'll find other decor and ways to use them and bite the bullet for the ws2812 strings.

Thanks.
My megatree consists of 16 pixel strips of 5 metres long. I have cable tied the strips to flat aluminium bar mounted to 120 degree curve at top and bottom. Aluminium 12mm x 3mm and it has performed perfectly for 5 years. Very quick and easy. Aluminium is about $1 per metre.

Attachments

• 621A3E4C-092D-49D2-A459-C76F2F00335E.png
    621A3E4C-092D-49D2-A459-C76F2F00335E.png
    903.2 KB · Views: 65

2alexanderdd2

New elf
I think with strip your best bet would be to do a flat tree. more manageable that way, you don't want strip flapping about. You could use the metal flats from Bunnings or something. Quite ridged and easy to attach via a bolt at top and bottom I suppose.
I know people don't like strip, but I don't have a problem with it, it does what it does if used in the right way to mount it. It's no more difficult to solder than soldering pixels wires really. Fixing issues is more interesting as you compromise the water proofing but it's cheaper, so you can just start again. I've found most of my issues have been them rotting away on the back exposing the copper, or dead pixels on old strip that I've stood on or bent.
This works well for repairing the IP rating of damage to the waterproofing on strip lights. https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-851...atex+electrical+sealant&qid=1604223110&sr=8-2

razataz327

Garnet
Hi. I live in Alberta Canada. I have a mega tree that is about 10ft high with ws2812b . I have 18 rows on grey pvc conduit. Works great. No flopping in our winter storms and they stay safe and secure with zip ties. They are easy to connect and seal with silicone or hot glue gun. I have using mine for 4 years now.