Video on Networking your show PC and E131 devices

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Hi all,

This little video is a overview of a common home network scenario and how you could setup your E131 devices to work on that network.

E131 devices work best with Fixed IP addresses and at this time the one's we all use do not support DHCP anyway.

Now the normal wisdom is to separate the E131 traffic from the rest of the home network, but this can mean dual network cards required in computers or Dual IP addresses assigned to single adapters both can get very messy real fast for anyone not experienced in this area.

This video shows you the simple way i would like to think.

https://vimeo.com/42384866

Cheers
Phil

Skunberg

Full time elf
Very nice video Phil. Down to nuts and bolts. Great to get a newbie in the door.

Brian

angus40

Senior elf
Phil thank you for this , it helped me out gettin my cabeling worked out .

i figure it is best to isolate the show pc from the internet , this video made it clear as to how this can be done .

cheers
Richard

ewanh

what goes here?
Sorry, another question - does the switch have to be a 1gb switch to run E1.31, or is that just a preference to have fast response times from the devices with the amount of data being sent?

thanks

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Ewan

Thanks for noticing i forgot the link :)
http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

As for Gigibit switch, they have become so cheap now for 5 port or 8 port there's no way i would recommend buying a plain 10/100 if you are buying one.

Now as you head into needing greater than say 24 ports in a central location then a good quality 10/100 48 port switch will do the job just fine.

As a direct answer, No it doesn't need to be a gigabit switch.

Cheers
Phil

angus40

Senior elf
I am running e1.31 om 10/100 just fine ,using a trendent model te100-s5

these are 5v .8a . theses can be setup out in in an enclosure with a controller and psu .