Videoing Your Light Display

MarcD

Full time elf
What sort of gear do you use to capture video of your display?

I was planning on just using the video mode on my Nikon D3100 DSLR, but I just read the manual and found that it will only record for 10 minutes at a time. I'm assuming that the sound quality will be pretty bad too. I have one of those el cheapo 'Full HD' video cameras, but the quality is pretty shocking.

I'd like to try to get some quality footage of my light display this year, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a video camera which will almost never get used.

Any suggestions?

kane

Dedicated elf
I would think 10 minutes at a time is probably enough??

I think the standard thing that people do is dub in the audio afterwards direct from the mp3 (using a video editing program) This gives a much better quality result.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
10 minutes is fine. Record one song at a time, loop it a few times (so you can edit out cars etc) and even record from 2-3 angles if you want! And yes, overdubbing the original audio and scrubbing the camera audio gets the best result. Use the recorded audio as a guide for where to position the original audio.

MarcD

Full time elf
Thanks guys. Of course your responses assume I actually know how to edit video. I'm sure one of the elves will be able to manage it. ;)

Falksonchristmas

Christmas all year around.
MarcD said:
What sort of gear do you use to capture video of your display?

I was planning on just using the video mode on my Nikon D3100 DSLR, but I just read the manual and found that it will only record for 10 minutes at a time. I'm assuming that the sound quality will be pretty bad too. I have one of those el cheapo 'Full HD' video cameras, but the quality is pretty shocking.

I'd like to try to get some quality footage of my light display this year, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a video camera which will almost never get used.

Any suggestions?
This is always a problem, small copact camera are not good enough to make film with, especially not in the dark. Yhis year we vill use our new Sony Alpha 35, this camera has autofocus when filming, disturbing sound from the motor but after editing it´s okay. We vill see how this years clip vill be, good luck to you and hope to se som clips here soon ;-)