Viewing Layout Question

forgekeeper

New elf
Fairly new to this and just wondering is there a way to Display Your Layout (Like when testing sequences in XLights) while running your sequences via XSchedule. I would like to be able to watch my scheduled sequences on a computer monitor if possible/ Sorry if this is a silly newbie queston.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
That'd be nice, wouldn't it!

(I don't think you can. I looked in the issue database at https://github.com/smeighan/xLights/issues?page=1&q=is:issue+is:open+xschedule and don't see anything there either. You can do it from xLights itself, but I've noticed that the preview window slows things down and makes the lights jitter a bit, and outright pause occasionally, so maybe that's why not. But worth considering...)

forgekeeper

New elf
Thank you for your reply. Running from XLights I encountered the same issue running wireless via a Raspberry PI/FPP. So I downloaded my sequences directly to the FPP and ran them no issue but I wanted to see them on a monitor. I also directly ran ethernet to my Falcon Controllers from a spare PC (cutting out the PI) created a Schedule and ran the sequences and no issues as described but still would like to see the sequences play on a monitor as I am just starting to build and create for Xmas 2023.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I love xSchedule and hope to give it some TLC, but I feel I am in the minority of users.

There are benefits to just loading the sequences on the controller or Pi and scheduling the runs with FPP... requires much less care with the networking, don't need a dedicated PC reserved, and so on... So I think you'll find xSchedule is great but not the forum favorite.

forgekeeper

New elf
I am just starting out so have not made a final decision I have read pros and cons but have found so far that it seems to be working for me to just start out with.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
What I like about xSchedule is I can control any pixel any time anywhere from a central PC, made it easy to do interactive stuff where the Par can was on a controller on one side of the drive, and the prop was on the other, and a separate Pi was the trigger. I have plenty of extra PCs lying around to dedicate one to the show, and enough CAT5 to wire everything with a network. It works well, but certainly it is not the only thing that would do.