Vimeo and copyright

cdjazman

Full time elf
Looks like Vimeo is heading down the YouTube path with copyrighted music now.

Maybe a short clip of the video might get past it????

"We’re reaching out in regards to your video titled, Måneskin - Beggin on vimeo. It has come to our attention that the song Beggin' by Måneskin may be copyrighted material.

To ensure the protection of the artist’s rights, we need to confirm that you’re authorized to use this content. We’re here to help you resolve this ASAP. Please visit our Rights Management Center and take one of the following steps:

• Replace the video with content that you own or have the rights to use.
  • Use Vimeo’s editing tools to swap or mute copyrighted music. Learn how.
  • If you are authorized to use this content, submit a one-time appeal.

Note that if this is not resolved your video will be set to private within 48 hours. Taking action promptly will expedite the resolution of your case. Waiting may result in a delayed review, and your content may remain private during the review process. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. We genuinely understand that the given time frame might feel short, but unfortunately, we're bound by regulatory requirements. "

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
What does a private video on Vimeo mean though? Can it still be shared with a link - just not exposed in Vimeo search?

cdjazman

Full time elf

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
YouTube is fine with copyright content, you just can't monetise the video. It doesn't block the video anymore - Views just get paid to the copyright holders but they still list as public
In some instances, they do block the audio.
I have watched one "mashup" Christmas Lights video where 30 seconds was blank audio where Youtube muted that portion of the copyrighted track.
This is where the copyright owner has expressly forbidden usage of the music. Not many musicians do this though, as they lose out on some good coin from Youtube.

Iain

Full time elf
  • If you are authorized to use this content, submit a one-time appeal.
Don't be fooled by the wording here - IANAL but I'm pretty sure you can submit an appeal if this counts as fair use and doesn't infringe on copyright. I can't remember all the specifics now but so long as your work is not intended to replace/take away from the original artist (which it isn't, as you're not making blinky lights so that people listen to this song instead of the original music video). I think I have the wording of a YouTube appeal I wrote somewhere I could dig out if you like...