3.x Vixen 3.0.6 released, new display preview & nutcracker effects built-in

battle79

Full time elf
Hey everybody! (Hey doctor nick)

Just thought I'd give those of you who are interested a quick update on the new Vixen 3.0.6 release.
So the latest stable version of the Vixen 3 beta has been released and I think I now have a final decision on what sequencer I'm going to use this year.

As this is my first year, all funds are going towards lights at this stage. The new display preview is fantastic, took me about 20min to set up over 1500 pixels (4500 channels) across about 15 elements. And most of that time was on one element, being my star that has ~12mtrs of strip in it.

Going to miss the audio options in HLS some, but I have a strong musical background so finding the marks for the beats is not the end of the world.

Nutcracker type effects are now built right into the sequencer, no need to import anything, just build it now you like it straight away. Haven't tried it yet, but I am assuming you can overlap nutcracker effects the same as you can overlap any other effects in Vixen.

Still waiting on the updated scheduler to get released later this year, but the current one is usable if not perfect.

One other thing, they have not yet implemented a way to reference the pixel placement in the preview to allow whole house sweeps yet. Hoping this eventuates this year, but it's not something I can't live without so I should be right this year.

Cheers,
Rowan

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Rowan i have to agree with you Vixen3 is a great improvement.
i have been playing an sequencing my show for the last couple of days..
i'll start doing the patching for the controllers when they upgrade the patching an templates area.

but now i need a to buy pixels for a pixel tree
at least i have great software to drive it

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer

battle79

Full time elf
Got it to work Alec!

Step 1: Back up your own Vixen 3 folder, and replace with Alec's.
Step 2: Open up the preview editor and select the background image that alec has provided. Rest of preview is setup still.
Step 3: Open up the .tim sequence file in notepad and do a replace on "Smart Alec" using your account name on your PC as the replacement.
Step 4: Load and enjoy the preview.

Cheers,
Rowan

battle79

Full time elf
Or maybe not. It works but locks up my preview screen after about a minute and I have to force close it restart vixen.
The first minute looks good though Alec.

Cheers,
Rowan

prof

Apprentice elf
Very impressive.

To get it to work I had to change one more item in the .tim file. When performing step 3 of the instructions look closely at the file path you are modifying. One of the lines has a reference to a .png image file that has the desktop in its path. You need to replace this entire path with the correct directory for where that image is located on your computer. e.g C:\Program Files (x86)\Vixen 3\Modules\Effect\PictureTiles