3.x Vixen 3 - Copying effects?

elnino

Full time elf
Hi all,
Is there a way to copy an effect from one sequence to another? i.e If have manually created a nutcracker type effect across 100 channels in one sequence, can i then copy it to use in another sequence? Create a template from it??

I can't see any way to do this currently - These would be awesome additions (If it's not a simple case of me not finding it yet)

What I'd also really love is some sort of 'code' interface to be able to generate an effect and apply it to 'dumb' nodes rather than using a 'module'.

For example, have a code window that accepts some basic parameters such as amount of nodes/time etc. and takes some 'for' 'if' 'loop' type statements to generate pulses or set level outputs. That would make for some awesome easily shareable effects.

I would not mind devoting some of my time to module development but the problem is that I have no experience in C# so i'd be strugling a bit. I do however have plenty of experience in other languages, just not really in the Visual Studio side of things.

davrus

Silent elf
Have both sequences open at the same time (yes, you can do that) and then just use copy & paste to get the effect from one sequence to the other. That is the way to do it in the current version.

And your suggestion about programming effects - well, you would have to properly program them, in the way that Vixen 3 is programmed (in C##). It is not as easy as it seems, because of the way that Vixen works.

Vixen 3 is open development, and you are welcome to join the team.

JPB

Full time elf
Click and drag over the area you want to select it and you can CTRL C to copy and CTRL V to paste.

You can create a dummy sequence and to store your created effects and then copy and paste as needed.

I must admit that when you have long effect over a large number of pixels the click and drag selection process can be painful. Make you leave plenty of free space around it in your storage sequence to make selection easier next time you want it.

Jon

davrus

Silent elf
Selectively doing a copy is much more powerful in the next Dev Build. You drag the mouse to enclose the effects that you want, and in a dialogue you can select just the types of effects that you want to copy, and it will ignore all the others.
They say this is especially powerful for people who have imported a sequence (eg from Vixen 2, where you have hundreds of little effect units).

The selectively select, can be used for some interesting new functions - drag and move, drag and copy ... and then you can also decide what will happen when you have done the move or copy (cloning).

Now just got to wait for the next Dev Build.

elnino

Full time elf
Awesome, thanks for the responses - that was exactly what I wanted to hear. I was intending on manually developing some effects and then using them in other sequences so that's perfect.