Vixen first setup

ajp

New elf
I have just started with lights and vixen. I want to use FPP as display controller. What should I set Vixen/display setup/controllers/ to?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I started with vixen originally, I would suggest you use Xlights if you are first starting out, once you get to around 13000 pixels in Vixen 3, you will feel the lag, xlights is far more streamlined towards pixel displays, however if you still wish to continue with vixen, I am sure we could all help get you started.

ajp

New elf
thanks, haven't started yet, so happy to switch at this point.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Awesome, You'll find a lot of support here for xlights compared to Vixen (I found out the hard way) I'm now having to convert a very large show from Vixen to xlights slowly, this year was the first I ran it running vixen along side xlights and it went very well, hopefully 2024 will be no vixen and 100% xlights.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I concur with NEL.

When I started looking at doing a local display just over 2 years ago, I found the appeal of Vixen initially, it felt cleaner.
But kept hitting little road blocks. So went with xLights after about 2 months and found the community support to be so much greater.

Whilst it's slightly more complex to get going (well even then, maybe not), the ongoing usage of it seems more straightforward.