Want to Test 2811 strips before doing big purchase, is this what I need?

marsh28

Apprentice elf
I want to switch to all pixels next year and b/c I’m not independently wealthy, I want to use the 2811 strips sold by Ray Wu and run everything via E1.31 and LOR S3. I also want to use these pixel strips in connection with the dumb strips Ray sells and some DMX RGB flood lights I already own (thus I’ll have to use a DMX bridge of some sort). With that said, I want to buy just a few strips at the beginning for testing purposes before I make the big purchase later on. So…what would I need to purchase to do this. This is what I’ve come up with so far.
[font=](2) 2811 RGB Strips:

(1) Power Supply: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/150W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-150W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/701799_289599860.html

(1) ECG-P2 pixel controller

(1) 3 Core Plugs [/font]

(1) 2 Core Plugs
[font=]-22/4 Alarm wire[/font]
[font=]Will this be sufficient to start messing around at home? [/font]Do I need a power injection to power the two strips are should I be okay with the 150w power supply alone? Finally, what "dumb" strips do people recommend?
[font=] [/font]
[font=]Thanks for the input[/font]

barbotte

Apprentice elf
well righ now it seem that few people had trouble with pixel comming from ray ( not waterproff.. bad pixel ,, ect,,)... it almost look like he could not handle the demand and quality were not as good as previously product ....and we find that now because we are aproching the season and the bug are comming out ....i dont know what else to tell you except that i would not jup into pixel this year untill all the problem a fix ....
cheer

marsh28

Apprentice elf
Argh.... Have there been attempts to seal these once they arrive?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
barbotte said:
well righ now it seem that few people had trouble with pixel comming from ray ( not waterproff.. bad pixel ,, ect,,)... it almost look like he could not handle the demand and quality were not as good as previously product ....and we find that now because we are aproching the season and the bug are comming out ....i dont know what else to tell you except that i would not jup into pixel this year untill all the problem a fix ....
cheer

I wouldnt call these bad pixels because these work perfectly with the J1SYS controllers. The issue is ony contained to the E68x controllers because they dont have the feature to adjust the pixel timing like the J1SYS controllers have and because the OP is using a P2 controller then there will be no issue for him because all it is is a different timing set in the P2 controller setup.

Now to the OPs question

As far as pixel strings then you want to use the IP68 type that is resin filled as these will require no additional weatherproofing. I have use lots of the 2811 strip and have been more than impressed with the quality and value of the strip. So if you want to get started now for playing around then i see no issue with your setup. The power supply will easily handle 2 strips and you may need power injection for the second strip but you may get away without it.

I would not use the cheap resin/silicone top coated strip that only has a coating on the top as this will fail in the weather, either use IP68 or use IP65 silicone tube but dont use ip65 resin/silicon coating.

But as far as your list of goodies you seem to have it all covered to get blinky flashy

marsh28

Apprentice elf
Where do I get the pixel controllers from, by the way. Are they on ebay?

Thanks