wanting to be enlightened

macflea

New elf
Hi all we're new to the christmas lighting game with 4 years static displays now it's time to have some real fun!! The only problem is i have no idea where to start. I would love to synic my lights to music and have been on line looking at light-o-rama they seam to be good for a new starter but i would like to know more on how the work ie; how many channels dose it take to run a good display (we have about 30 items now) are these type of set up easy to get in Australia, whats the cost of an average set up'
anyway look forward to hearing from anyone who can throw a few tips my way
look out Roxby Downs S.A for 2012 i'm on my way to light up the desert

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Depending on your lights, your commitment and David_AVD's stock of DC48 or DC24 boards you could still get an animated show going pretty close to December 1st. The type of lights will affect what sort of controller you need. The hardest to come by at this time of year are LOR controllers which are just about the only option for 240V ropes or ornaments. If you have 24V incandescants or leds than you could go with either LOR which you could probably expect delivery of sometime next year or you could go DMX control and possibly get boards overnight from David or in about a week from Ray Wu on Aliexpress. http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/index.php/Controllers has a bit of a list of controllers that are commonly used here.
A lot of the newbies this year are going with 16 channels which is the standard amount from a LOR controller. David_AVD's DC24 or DC48 controllers give you plenty to play with. You'll need a controller (or 2 or 10 or 20), an adaptor to get from pc to either LOR or dmx protocol, a power supply if you're going DC voltage and sequencing software. Software that's available is listed here http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/index.php/Software
Depending on how you animate and what with you can get a basic system going for under $100 or up to tens of thousands if you want to go with the expensive options.
Come and talk options in chat just about any time and you'll find someone to offer options.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you will definetly find the help and info you need to get a computer controlled animated display going for 2012 here. So take your time to absorb the information and learn and then post questions and come into chat to get some freindly advice.