water fountain sync to Music/LOR

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It'll need to be IP68 sealed leds. aussiphil looked at doing some laminar flow fountains for last year I think it was. I don't know if anything happened about it though.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
that does look amazing... Hmmmm, if i had the budget, and the knowledge.. that could be a possibility, but alas, i have neither.

Bird

LOR user
Very nice looking. Cool to see a different take on colored light usage.
Never going to happen here .. water at Christmas is not a good idea with freezing temps. :)

Jodenbach

New elf
Oh man! I've been talking with one of my clients about doing something like that for Canada Day! We have a lake in the middle of the park where the fireworks happen and it would be awesome to do something with the water, but I've never really known how to start... is this your display???

924aussie

Full time elf
For those that didnt watch it on Youtube, the comments on it are below note $700 cost :)

Quote:

Published on Jan 16, 2013
This is the same as my previous video except for I cleaned up and added more to the choreography and filmed it in 1080p HD.

This is my Ballagio style dancing water fountain Christmas display choreographed to Peppermint Winter by Owl City . It consist of 3 8'x18" vinyl kiddie pools each with 400 gallons of water. each pool has 5 water jets each with RGB LED lighting. The jets have variable and individual power control and are capable of shooting water up to 15ft. in the air and can sustain about 9ft. The system is controlled using both DMX and MIDI using open-source software and employs a custom ASIC chip which I designed. The total cost of the system is less then $700 and is capable of operating in freezing temperatures without any heating or using any chemicals(except what is in the municipal water system) in the water. in fact, This video was was shot when the outdoor temp. was 22'F.

This was a project that many Christmas light enthusiast from around the world have been trying to do for well over a decade and has now become a reality. I started this project because I was trying to be the first in my town to put up a computer control Christmas display but by the time I got around to doing it. About 6 others in my town had already beaten me to it. So at this point it was a game of "keeping up with the Jones" and my Aspie personality that craves weird things would not go for that, Plus I haven't had a good electrical engineering challenge in a few years and I was getting a little itchy for one.

So why did I choose to do a dancing water fountain? Well I guest I had to pick something. anyways. It was an idea that had been toss around in the "Light-o-rama", "Planet Christmas" and "DIY Christmas" forums for years but has been meant with little or no success. in fact, Most of the time, The idea would die just as fast as it was brought up. But I had to choose something and I chose to do this.

I had started working on this project back in may of 2011 and been at it for about a year and half. during the first 6 months of tinkering and R&D work which had been meant with failure after failure and reality was starting to set in and I was looking at my expectations for this project and started asking myself "what was I smoking". after all. If hundreds of Christmas light enthusiast from around the world can't figure this out. What makes you thing you can. I was getting quite desperate that I even called some engineers including Mark Fuller from Wet Design as well as other companies that make dancing water fountains for some ideas with little luck. but persistence does pay off in the end and eventuality, All the pieces came together I got this thing to do what I wanted to do.

End Quote