Waterproofing LED Strings?

fj

Apprentice elf
hi piesrule,

over on RJ's DILA forums he has posted up a new method for water proofing his new SmartString RGB nodes.

he is using a product called PlastiDip, thinned down to almost like water consistency, then just dunking the whole string in the solution. PlastiDip is a clear flexible rubber coating and UV safe. It looks like a pretty good way to water proof the strings BUT, and there is always a but :), it is expensive, especially here in Aus. The sole importer of the stuff in Australia is the only person that I could find that sells it, via an Ebay store, and it is very expensive compared to overseas prices - like 3 times more expensive, then add delivery on top of that too !!

the ebay shop does sell a big tin of the stuff for about $300 so maybe if you knew a few that were interested you could split the cost.

cheers, fj

Tabor

Full time elf
There was a fair bit of discussion about water proofing rgb led string last year, which would apply to normal leds strings also.

At the time I purchase a couple of products to test with.

1. liquid electricians tape, it was a little expensive but it did not hold to the wire to well.
2. Plastidip was tested. expensive, it was purchased from the ebay store but i bought the UV stuff to test. worked well.
3. Andrew found "Sellys All Clear Brushable Water Barrier" from bunnings fairly cheap and worked well, just be sure to let it dry for a while.

Best choice I found was the Sellys stuff, cheapest and can be thinned also.

some links
http://forums.auschristmaslighting.com/index.php/topic,267.0.html

fj

Apprentice elf
can the Selleys stuff be used for dipping instead of injecting each node / LED individually? wonder if anyone has tried that.

Tabor

Full time elf
It can be thinned and comes in a 1 litre tin for around $30.
It is pretty much the same stuff as plastidip.

I actually used it to join diffusers to the top of my rgb nodes.

Trying to find a video of it.

fj

Apprentice elf
Tabor said:
It can be thinned and comes in a 1 litre tin for around $30.

have you tried thinning it out? wondering if you have to use any special thinners or just normal old paint thinners works.